Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
2 registered (Cthulhu, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63578 Topics
444190 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#208887 - 03/04/08 08:07 PM Orson Scott Card
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I loved his book 'Enders Game', about a boy trying to save the world, it always inspires me and it feels easy to connect with the character, Ender, maybe because i've read it so many times, i like to re-read it when i'm feeling lazy in my work, because Ender is not lazy.

I've read 'speaker for the dead' in the same series, i liked that too, i tried reading 'children of the mind' again in the same series, i didn't like it, but i let him off.

So i'm reading a compilation of short stories by him, volume one is called 'maps in a mirror', they are not very good, but i continue anyway, hoping to find the kind of writing that i encountered in Enders Game.

But i came across a story, lost boys, he writes it as a real life account of his life, his family, he even refers to the books he was writing at the time, like 'Enders Game', and the influence his life had in them, it's all very convincing, and he talks about how his eldest son was murdered by the guy who they were renting the house off, and his body hidden under the house along with other bodies of kids who had gone missing in the area. I'm not sure how i felt about this exactly, i kept thinking that it couldn't be true, it must be fiction, but he was writing it as if it was real, with all his grief, and i somewhat look up to Orson Scott Card, for making a character like Ender, so something that i cant quite put my finger on was tearing at my foundations, at the things i believed and thought and what i thought i knew about people and lots of things, and i wasn't sure if i felt bad or how i now felt about the character Ender and the pain that his writer must have had in creating him.

So i came to the afterword section, he states it's fiction, he even says that he was told not to publish the story, that it was wrong to fake grief and to trick people like that. And so i'm angry at him now, maybe something went to his head, maybe the success of Enders Game drained him, i don't know. But it was wrong to lie about something like that, and although i know i'll find myself going back to Enders Game now and again, i am not going to finish this book, or buy any more of his books.

Not sure if this is really relevant to the site, but something about it felt relevant to me.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#208892 - 03/04/08 09:38 PM Re: Orson Scott Card [Re: king tut]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I loved Ender. the book was genius I litterly loved the little boy as i was reading the book last fall i couldnt help but believe he was real. I was angry at the way he was treated. part of me related to him.

I have not yet read any of the other books i should though in the near future i will read the book of the dead.

anyways sorry you had such a bad experience with Card, but he is a writer it is his job to make stories.

Christopher

#208899 - 03/04/08 10:44 PM Re: Orson Scott Card [Re: theatrekid]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Orson Scott Card is great. I have a story of his on mp3 called "Unaccompanied Sonata." I love it!

I don't know of his other works, though. I just happened upon it through a friend.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.