Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
5 registered (VASurvivor, journey4two, tbkkfile, 2 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443284 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#207996 - 02/29/08 12:16 AM Validated by terry goodkind, poss triggering
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, or isn't quite correct, but one book which has had an effect on me recently has been wizards first rule by terry goodkind.

It's the only book I've ever read, ---- certainly the only fantasy, in which a male is abused and tortured by a woman. His feelings of helplessness, his coping stratogies (such as partitioning off part of himself to a place she cannot touch), were all very familiar, and it's certainly the only such recognition I've sen that women can be abusers and men victims, which I appreciated.

Terry goodkind goes further than that though, sinse it's revealed as part of the plot, that not only was the woman trained to be a torturer by being tortured herself, but that the device she uses to give pain, ----- a magical rod called an aigiel, gives as much pain to her as to her victims. the hero not only is able to forgive her for what she does to him,but actually request that an even more brutal woman take over his "training" sinse he does not want Dena to urt herself anymore by using the aigiel on him.

This compassion and understanding towards an abuser was so amazing that I found myself crying, it's something I can't achieve myself, and that was what made the book special for me.

I will warn people though, Terry goodkind doesn't shy away from fairly graphic de>

#208746 - 03/04/08 08:14 AM Re: Validated by terry goodkind, poss triggering [Re: dark empathy]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Dark Empathy,

I don't know the book or the author, but it sounds interesting and I'm glad it spoke to you. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#208837 - 03/04/08 02:47 PM Re: Validated by terry goodkind, poss triggering [Re: roadrunner]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I'm into Fantasy novels big time. I'll have to look this up. Thanks!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.