Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
1 registered (manipulated), 18 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64153 Topics
447638 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208247 - 03/01/08 02:15 PM Movie - The Kid
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
I watched this movie for the first time from start to finish this afternoon. I'd seen pieces of it before, several years ago, but watching it with the perspective I now have, made it completely different.

The movie stars Bruce Willis as an almost 40 year old image consultant who meets a young kid (who's name is lost to me) who turns out to be his 8 year old self. It's a total fantasy, sans any special effects. It's just the relationship one person has with himself wherein he has to come to terms with who he was vs who his is. The kid helps him figure out who he wants to be.

There are many profound scenes and dialog in this silly little Disney movie and I gobbled it all up. If you get the chance it's a good one.

ROCK ON......Trish

#208252 - 03/01/08 02:28 PM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: Trish4850]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Trish,
I have seen this movie. There is one scene where he is watching his kid while his dad is tearing into him and he is trying to tell his dad he found the screws and it is ok and his dad just shuts him up and berates him for crying. That scene KILLS me. I could so relate to that. All I heard was " Shut up. You don't matter, I am not interested in you. You are worthless and a pain in the ass and I wish you had never been born" OUCH

I am getting past that but GEEZ it is hard to erase that tape.

#208256 - 03/01/08 02:48 PM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: Freedom49]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

It's all perspective Roger. Yes, the dad did that and yes he was an idiot-he was also crying the whole time because he had just helped his dying wife back into the house after she picked the kid up from school 'cause he had a fight.

If you recall, when the Bruce Willis character comforts the kid/him, he tells him that dad said what he did because he's scared that Mom is dying and he knows he'll have to raise the kid by himself but he doesn't know how. The man could see all of it, the kid was just destroyed and it was the kids' hurt that carried through the man's life until that moment.

The whole movie is just full of these Ah Ha! moments.

ROCK ON.........Trish

#208273 - 03/01/08 03:55 PM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: Trish4850]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I watched that movie also today - it spoke deeply to me

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#208274 - 03/01/08 03:56 PM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: Trish4850]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Trish,

Sounds like one I should go rent soon! I really go for those films with the Aha! moments! \:\)

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#208275 - 03/01/08 03:58 PM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: Freedom49]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Roger,

Originally Posted By: Freedom49
I am getting past that but GEEZ it is hard to erase that tape.

Just a quick response to your comment. I don't think we ever get to erase the tape. It will always be there. What we DO get is the freedom and confidence we need to stop playing it, or if we do play it, to see that it says a ton about the toxic people in our lives but not a thing about us.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#208281 - 03/01/08 04:41 PM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: roadrunner]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Well, Larry, that is kind of encouraging in a sad sort of way.

#208300 - 03/01/08 05:29 PM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: Freedom49]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Has anybody seen the movie L.I.E.?

I haven't seen it but I wonder if I should.

Pufferfish

#208304 - 03/01/08 05:46 PM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: pufferfish]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Welcome to MS Pufferfish.

I never heard of this movie, so I got the synopsis on line. It sounds like a terribly triggering movie and one you may not even be able to get through. I wouldn't think you "should" see it but if you want to, I'd have lots of preparation beforehand and be sure to have some support with you or at least readily available. I think it would be very difficult, to say the least.

I don't know how old you are or where you are in your recovery, but I urge you not to force yourself into things like seeing a movie that would really upset you.

ROCK ON.........Trish

#208382 - 03/02/08 07:22 AM Re: Movie - The Kid [Re: Trish4850]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Pufferfish,

Welcome to MaleSurvivor. As Trish has already suggested, L.I.E. is a whole PILE of triggers! Whether you should see it or not is up to you, and your answer would depend on where you are in your recovery. That is, do explicit and highly emotional scenes trigger you, make you feel unsafe and send you back to the time when you were being abused? If so I would avoid these and other similar films for awhile. There will always be time to see them later, when you are on more solid ground.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.