Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
4 registered (Mr. Malaise, rgrant, lapchinj, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63360 Topics
443056 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#208004 - 02/29/08 01:13 AM What good comes from it?
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
My therapist and I a while back were talking about finding the good in situations, making the most of things, and we talked even about the good things I have from having been SA.

She said I have an enormous sensitivity to people from my experience. And I think this is quite true.

What good do you think comes from it?

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#208012 - 02/29/08 03:17 AM Re: What good comes from it? [Re: LandOfShadow]
OICU812 Offline

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: LandOfShadow
My therapist and I a while back were talking about finding the good in situations, making the most of things, and we talked even about the good things I have from having been SA.

She said I have an enormous sensitivity to people from my experience. And I think this is quite true.

What good do you think comes from it?

More compassion and understanding for what people are going though.Less angry maybe to degree since your more sensitivity of people.I am not sure,I am no pro at helping people,I can't even help myself.Just some ideas floating in my head.

#208113 - 02/29/08 06:39 PM Re: What good comes from it? [Re: OICU812]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Now that I understand what happened to me I am definately more compassionate with others who are hurting and confused. I am much more patient and loving to my daughter and my sons. Emotional problems use to aggravate me because I didn't understand about them. NOW I do. I stopped saying "get over it". And started listening to the vents and rants with more compassion. All in all there are some benefits that I have appreciated I will have to admit.

#208141 - 02/29/08 08:59 PM Re: What good comes from it? [Re: Freedom49]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I learned how to not get in those situations again. I became hyper sensitive to the body language of those around me. I can see things in people that they can not see themselves. I am able to help others as well as ask for help. I have compassion but I'm still learning how to show it. I am more sensitive to others feelings. I care about myself and others.

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

#208155 - 02/29/08 10:42 PM Re: What good comes from it? [Re: GateKPR4]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I'm not sure I would say I gained anything positive from the SA itself. But the challenge of recovery has shown me a man I didn't know was inside me. Maybe I have been reinventing myself, or maybe I have been recovering the guy I always was, or would have been had it not been for the SA. All I can say is that I have learned a lot about many good and bad things - in myself, in others, and in the world. Since I began to make genuine progress I have never felt so real. I suppose that's a good thing.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#208182 - 03/01/08 02:25 AM Re: What good comes from it? [Re: roadrunner]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

A thought I had is that it has the potential to allow me to be more human maybe? I often (cynically I suppose, but maybe being realistic) see the social/cultural forces that are prevalent today as working in many ways to depersonalize/dehumanize in some respects (it helps drive the 'need' to 'buy/consume' back this personalization).

Having had to think so hard and deep about so many things maybe has put me in touch with deeper parts of my life, and has forced me to think about what is truly important. As such maybe I can be more human and work toward what I value. Thing is, I think I was pretty human as a kid and it should have been okay to keep that humanity moving forward. Hey, I just had a thought; maybe I can make friends with that 'little me' again and see what we can figure out.

#208186 - 03/01/08 06:20 AM Re: What good comes from it? [Re: ericc]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: ericc
I was pretty human as a kid and it should have been okay to keep that humanity moving forward. Hey, I just had a thought; maybe I can make friends with that 'little me' again and see what we can figure out.

Even as a kid I think I had many of the qualities I posted above. So in a sense the csa sis nothing to enhance them just bury them and make me more of an introvert eccentric. The one thing I see now in my life that I did not before is that I have many choices that I felt I did not have before. The world is more real to me now and my life is changing for the better. I look back fondly of the child I had been I was inquisitive, smart, kind, caring, loving, compassionate. It is by remembering that child that I am able to re-integrate those qualities back in my life today.
I believe it is very true we were pretty human when we were kids and I think we can keep that humanity. It just takes time to reconnect

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

#208223 - 03/01/08 11:46 AM Re: What good comes from it? [Re: ericc]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
erricc,

Exactly! Thank you for saying this so clearly!

Quote:
...maybe I can make friends with that 'little me' again and see what we can figure out..

What happens when you try to do that?

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.