Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (woodenshoes), 15 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63427 Topics
443419 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#20787 - 05/17/03 09:53 PM Funny word, "recovery"
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
According to "The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology" the word "recover" comes from Old French, "recouvrer" which comes from Latin, "recuperare." The dictionary says to see "recuperate." Reasonable so far.

The listing for "recuperate" says "from RE- + *cup (as in occupare, occupy)." Getting interesting now, and I'm a glutton for punishment, so on to "occupy." Oooh, this listing mentions "occupare, seize, from OC- + cap of capere, take, seize."

So, it seems to me that "recovery" is not covering something up again, but taking it again. Very dynamic notion. It won't just happen, and no one will give it to me. That doesn't mean no one will help me (you already have), but I have to take back my life myself.

Food for thought. Now I need to go digest. \:\)

Burp,

Joe

#20788 - 05/17/03 10:09 PM Re: Funny word, "recovery"
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Joe

Thanks for sharing that it's really cool to think about. Or as you say, to digest.

Quote:
That doesn't mean no one will help me (you already have), but I have to take back my life myself.
Thanks Joe thats a powerful thot for me right now
as I recently have been apparently rejected by a few people I thot were friends, including some longtime (tho pretty long distance) friends I finally told about my CSA.

This may yet change, it may not.

Meanwhile I'll get by with a little help from my friends here...

...and wherever else I can find them!

Thanks for being one (a friend) Joe!

Victor

PS: Joe I like the connecting of "recovery" with
"funny." Recovery, taking back our life, should be a fun & joyful thing. Sometimes I even believe it can be... \:\)

#20789 - 05/18/03 10:27 PM Re: Funny word, "recovery"
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Victor,

Glad you liked it. I hope I can incorporate fun into recovery. I'm still thinking of things I want to "take back" or "seize again."

I signed up two or so months ago to lead an Al Anon Adult Child meeting tonight. I decided two weeks ago to lead on the topic of "sponsorship" probably just to punish myself. My wife dissuaded me, so I went with the "recovery" topic, using the same etymology I posted in this thread.

Still hit triggers. Had the SIA meeting this afternoon. (Sunday's my busy day, don't do a lot of meetings on school nights, but I pack it in on the weekends.) Close, real close now to finding my tears. Reading from "Leaping Upon the Mountain" is helping, too.

No particular reason for this post but to say those things. Hope everyone's doing ok. I'll check back ASAP. Gotta rest now.

Thanks,

Joe

#20790 - 05/19/03 03:05 PM Re: Funny word, "recovery"
Freedom Offline

Loc: US
Way cool. Thanks.

#20791 - 05/19/03 08:53 PM Re: Funny word, "recovery"
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Joe thanks for sharing that. "Leaping" is a great book I think. Those meetings can be real good for you; I'd like to go to more if they were available

I like what you and others shared in the other post too, about group therapy. It was helpful becuz I've been thinking about trying it myself.

Victor

#20792 - 05/20/03 12:34 PM Re: Funny word, "recovery"
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

What I want to "recover" or take back.

I led the AlAnon meeting on Sunday on this topic. Obviously there are issues that I don't talk about in those meetings. There are also things that SA survivors, "co-alcoholics," adult children of alcoholics, and other abuse (physical, emotional, etc) survivors want to seize again in common.

Some of the things I want, in no particular order:

my sanity - I hate double checking and triple checking everything that crosses my mind, especially anything somehow involving relationships, even casual relationships. One of the SIA "Promises" is that "we will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us." Yeah, bring it on, that's something I want for myself.

my self esteem - I don't want to have a false humility born of humiliation. I don't want an angry arrogance born of anger and hurt. I want to feel good about myself for who and what I really am, in myself and in my important relationships. But the ways I've treated, and mistreated, myself and others for so long keep me from getting that. I'm learning to recognize the wrong things, sometimes early enough to stop myself. Progress, not perfection, I suppose.

a sense of safety - This is a tough one. I guess another way to say it is I want to learn to trust. My wife thinks I exhibit the "victim mentality" described in Mic Hunter's book, "Abused Boys: The Neglected Victims of Sexual Abuse." I still don't see myself acting as a victim, or even thinking of myself that way. The part of the de>

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.