Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63396 Topics
443246 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#207789 - 02/27/08 03:41 PM who has access to chat room?
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Dear Moderator and Admin Gang,

I chatted for a while with someone the other day, so I decided to look him up and send him a PM to follow up. Turns out there is no one listed in the user list with his nick. So I wonder who has access to the chat room - apparently not just registered members. Or is there a way for users to change their name in chat? I felt uncomfortable discovering that the person I was chatting with was not registered, or somehow changed his name. Is that sort of stuff documented somewhere?

Mike

#207792 - 02/27/08 04:02 PM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: mike5]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Somehow people can have different usernames (nicks as you say) on the forum here and in chat. I just ask people what name they post under if it doesn't ring a bell. I don't think there is any nefarious reason for it. \:\)

Perhaps people chat a while with a more "revealing name" and later want a more anonymous name to post stuff. Anyone care to fill us in how you came to have two usernames here? It hasn't bothered me, I just kind it confusing.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#207794 - 02/27/08 04:15 PM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: LandOfShadow]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

When you setup your account you have a username and a display name. Your display name is what appears on the message boards, your log in name appears in the chat room.

In chat just like here you can click on a persons name and look up their profile.

Edited by JustScott (02/27/08 04:16 PM)

#207806 - 02/27/08 05:15 PM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: JustScott]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Well,
I stupidly thought the user name and display names had to be different like other sites. I REALLY wish I could have done it different but I am not going to change now. I just list my names at the bottom of all my posts now and that seem to take care of some of the confusion.

#207811 - 02/27/08 05:23 PM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: Freedom49]
tallsteve Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Boston, MA
Roger,

You got the right answers and came up with a workable solution.

Any further questions can be referred to webmaster@malesurvivor.org.

Hope all is well and that I see you in chat sooner rather than later.

All the best,
Steve

#207887 - 02/28/08 07:12 AM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: JustScott]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: JustScott
Your display name is what appears on the message boards, your log in name appears in the chat room.

Thanks - that explains it. So the "User List" link gives a list of display names - is there a way to find people by user names as well?

Mike

#207895 - 02/28/08 08:09 AM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: mike5]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I'm still pretty new here, so unfortunately, I don't know. You can always ask others about who your are looking for, they may know the persons display name.

#208017 - 02/29/08 05:44 AM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: JustScott]
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

It is strange, when first registering for chat, I had a different name then on the discussion board. But when we change to this board format, we had to re-register for the chat, and for while anyway, I think it had to be the same. Then I start seeing people with different names for the two and it confused me also. But it is I think to register for one and not the other at same time, so maybe it is why for different names.

VN

#208036 - 02/29/08 10:19 AM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: mike5]
rcm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boston, MA
That was confusing to me at first. I am one of those that have different names in the chat and here and couldn't figure out why until someone explained it to me.

#208195 - 03/01/08 08:39 AM Re: who has access to chat room? [Re: mike5]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: mike5
is there a way to find people by user names as well?

As far as I know there is nothing of that nature except clicking on their in the list of those currently in the chat room, and then clicking "profile" in the drop down menu. That will take you to their MS profile which identifies them by their display name.

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.