Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
4 registered (don64, Bardo, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445537 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#207673 - 02/27/08 02:26 AM "Moment of Truth"
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Here in the US (for those outside of the USA), we have a show called "Moment of Truth." The premise of the show is that people come on, having previously answered 50 questions via a polygraph test, and then answer random selections of those questions on the show for money -- provided they answer truthfully.

I have mixed feelings about the show. It seems kind of wrong. They ask some pretty personal things, and I'm sure it could/does effect marriages and/or familial relationships.

But then again, the contestants themselves choose to come on, and can choose to leave at any time keeping what money they've earned so far. So it's really on them, too.

I'll admit, it's entertaining for me. It's sort of a guilty pleasure, I guess -- and maybe somewhat voyeuristic on my part. I'm a strong proponent of telling the truth at all costs, but I can't tell if this goes too far. Even the host has said sometimes the truth needs to be hidden. I just don't know.

I just imagine if my dad/abuser going on there -- or even me. What would they ask me? Would it be worth $500,000 to tell the whole nation of my lurid secrets?

It's silly, but I'm torn about the show. I can't tell if I should be watching it or denouncing it. On one hand I like to think I'm a completely open book about anything, and I tell myself I could win easily -- but on the other, am I really, could I really?

I think it has it's good qualities -- promoting complete and utter honesty -- even though it's "shock" TV. Too bad it takes prize money for people to do it.

#207701 - 02/27/08 06:39 AM Re: "Moment of Truth" [Re: AndyJB2005]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Andy,

Well, you know how I am about these things, so my reaction won't surprise you. ;\) My thought here doesn't have anything to do with the show, but with your discomfort over it.

I wonder if you are struggling with the problem of how much to tell, and to whom? I say that because I get that feeling a lot even now. In my case the issue is the other boy I was abused with for the last year. Sometimes I want to just scream out every detail of what was done to us and how cruelly we were manipulated and betrayed. But a part of me dreads doing that because I fear I will be blamed and judged. I was the older boy; I should have made it stop somehow. He was my friend and he needed me. And on and on and on.

However we deal with this problem of "what to tell and to whom", we need to bear in mind that we owe no one information, and if we refuse to tell someone something that doesn't mean we are hiding some dark sinister guilt. It just means we are putting ourselves first in our recovery.

That's the way it has to be Andy. Keep yourself safe and talk to people you absolutely trust. It's always the small solid steps that prove to be the ones that last. And no, I don't think it would be worth even half a million bucks to tell everything to the whole nation.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.