Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
2 registered (DaiseyLady, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64186 Topics
447897 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#207350 - 02/25/08 04:04 PM ? about checking dates
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Does anyone happen to know how to go about checking online to see if a potential date is a registered sex offender? It just occurred to me this morning that such a thing might be possible and could give a little more peace of mind when meeting someone you hooked up with online.

Anyone ever done this?

#207365 - 02/25/08 06:16 PM Re: ? about checking dates [Re: blueshift]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Hi Blueshift,

I know in NJ, all I have to do is google NJ sex offender registry and it comes right up. I can search for a specific individual, check geographic areas, such as the town I live in, etc. I don't think all States have this, but many do. So, the answer is yes.

But I've got to say, you're instinct is your best pal when looking to personally meet someone you met on-line. I did it many years ago when I was actively dating and met some really great people, but I always made sure to meet in public places, have my own transportation, let someone know where I was, etc. Safety was my first priority and it needs to be yours as well. Being open to meeting new people is great, but putting yourself in harm's way should never be the price you pay for it.

ROCK ON.........Trish

#207372 - 02/25/08 06:57 PM Re: ? about checking dates [Re: Trish4850]
blueshift Offline

Originally Posted By: Trish4850
Hi Blueshift,

I know in NJ, all I have to do is google NJ sex offender registry and it comes right up. I can search for a specific individual, check geographic areas, such as the town I live in, etc. I don't think all States have this, but many do. So, the answer is yes.

But I've got to say, you're instinct is your best pal when looking to personally meet someone you met on-line. I did it many years ago when I was actively dating and met some really great people, but I always made sure to meet in public places, have my own transportation, let someone know where I was, etc. Safety was my first priority and it needs to be yours as well. Being open to meeting new people is great, but putting yourself in harm's way should never be the price you pay for it.

ROCK ON.........Trish

Thanx Trish, i'll try that...and good advice with the other things as well.
I usually do take those precautions...it's still scary though. I got kind of creeped out a while back...a guy i dated who wasn't into me was explaining to me about how sometimes the chemistry just isn't there...said he was "with" an 8 y o boy once who was "cute as hell", but "the chemistry just wasn't there".

I didn't know what to say. It just freaked me out. I was so glad when he left. He didn't admit to actually doing anything with a child, so there wouldn't have been any point to taking any action (other than not seeing him again, obviously.) I don't know if a registry search would have screened him out or not but it well might have.
Thanx for the tips!
Doug

#207388 - 02/25/08 07:34 PM Re: ? about checking dates [Re: blueshift]
blueshift Offline

I checked it out, and sure enough...all i need is a last name and a city, and it lists all offenders in that city by that last name. You can see pictures of them too to make sure. That's good to know. Not that i would let having done such a search give me a false sense of security---after all, it would be simple enough for some one who's registered to give me a false last name, but it would be worth checking out anyway just in case.

Probably a lot of em wouldn't figure on some one they hook up with online being cautious enough to do such a search, and it's easy to do, so i think i'll just start checking everyone out that i meet online. If it happens to let me screen out even one scary character, that would make it all well worth it.

I'm so glad i thought of looking for sites like MS. It's already helped me in so many ways....why did i not think of it sooner?! \:\)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.