Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (Bluedogone, myrlin, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447692 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206989 - 02/23/08 05:07 PM chat room fear?
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
is it just me, or are live chat rooms really really scary, i've clicked on the button a couple of times before but have closed the window immediately because i get nervous.

does anybody else find them scary? (i'm not a very fast typer either so that's a bit of a problem)

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#206993 - 02/23/08 05:28 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: king tut]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Hello KT ...

I know your feelings well ... take the plunge, its nowhere nearly as bad as I let myself imagine \:\)

#207000 - 02/23/08 05:54 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: arronb]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
KT,

The first time I entered the chat room I was very nervous. Luckily, I was greeted immediately, said my hello's in return and looked around for a little while. It's a little harder to lurk in the chat room than it is on the board because everyone knows you're there, but it is OK to do. You could very easily say that you're just becoming familiar with the place and no one will think twice about it.

At times the chat room moves very fast and other times nothing is going on at all. The nice thing about the internet is that if you become uncomfortable, you can bail out quickly. As you said, it is real time, so you could get blindsided by something you're not prepared for. Only you can decide whether you're ready for it.

If there is someone on site that you feel safe talking to, may I suggest you ask them to join you in chat? Having a buddy along will hopefully ease your tension and allow you to check things out without feeling the pressure of being the new guy in the room.

ROCK ON...........Trish

#207005 - 02/23/08 06:05 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: Trish4850]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
thanks arronb and trish4850, i think i will have to take the plunge, i think i might just click on the button right now, i have an increasing urge to do it, and say hello and say i'm becoming familiar with the place like you said, i think chat will be a great release for me. I'm going to log off, have a cup of tea, come back, and see what i think.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#207006 - 02/23/08 06:07 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: king tut]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Good Luck KT, I'm really hopeful that it will be a good experience. If you have any issues at all though, don't hesitate to come to a Mod, K?

ROCK ON..........Trish

#207011 - 02/23/08 06:48 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: Trish4850]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

King Tut,

It was great talking with you in chat. Glad you worked up the courage to push that button! Take good care, k?

John

#207030 - 02/23/08 08:29 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
King Tut,

It's perfectly okay to be anxious. I see John was talking to you in chat so I'm glad you took the plunge. But you don't need to rush yourself here. Take things slow and stick to a pace where you feel safe. It's the safe steady steps that last.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#207037 - 02/23/08 08:54 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: roadrunner]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
I just tried and failed miserably!! I'll try again later but it is not comfortable for me, at all! Too much like trying to fit in, and that triggers me big time.

#207038 - 02/23/08 09:02 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: dancr6]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Dan,

You didn't fail, you were uncomfortable and left chat. That's smart, not failure. Don't force yourself to do something you're not ready for and when you do feel ready, try what I suggested to KT and go in with a safe friend from here. I know that when I visit chat during the week between 9 and 10 east coast time, it's not terribly busy or overwhelming so I can follow what's going on and actually have a conversation. I don't recall going on a Saturday night, but I would imagine it's pretty busy.

Work you're way into it at your pace and don't do it one minute before you feel comfortable with it.

ROCK ON.........Trish

#207039 - 02/23/08 09:05 PM Re: chat room fear? [Re: Trish4850]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
Sound advice Trish, Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.