Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
4 registered (focusedbody, pattom, 2 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63854 Topics
445856 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#206813 - 02/22/08 08:15 PM air travel
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
Wedsday I have to fly to Portland OR. I have trouble with panic attacks when I am in a croud. Any sugestions on how to deal with this. I have not got any choice but to go . It is an inportant family matter.

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#206814 - 02/22/08 08:20 PM Re: air travel [Re: OKIE MIKE]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
I've had this type of problem my whole life, one thing I've done recently is imagining a friend, a new close friend I trust very much putting his hand on my shoulder and telling me "you're strong Mike, everything is fine, and no one know's how you're feeling" I've found it to be a great grounding technique.

Mike

#206858 - 02/22/08 11:02 PM Re: air travel [Re: mogigo]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Hello Mike ...

I get very nervous in crowds ... when I have to fly (or if I know I'm going to be in a crowd) I try to get there early, before anyone else has turned up.

In particular when flying I check-in early, go to the boarding gate early & settle down with a mag and let the crowd build around my ... don't know why but I feel less 'threatened' that way.

That and a few valium do the trick for me LOL

#206869 - 02/22/08 11:28 PM Re: air travel [Re: arronb]
Niels Offline
MaleSurvivor

Like ArronB: I cope better with crowds and the stress of airports by taking a few Valiums. One an hour before I reach the Airport and one when I get seated on the Airplane. I mostly Fly long 8-10 hours transatlantic flights between Europe and US, and I dread it every time. Over the years I have almost overcome my my social phobias.
On thing that can help is to carry a MP3 player with your favorite music it you noises and loud announcement from loudspeakers makes you even more jumpy. For me it creates my own little bubble and space. Airports does have some triggers: the partly undressing ...taking of coat, belt, and shoes .... and perhaps even risking a body screening. But the more often I fly the better I cope with the stressors of crowds and airports. I usually am tired afterwards since I have been more high strung than usual, but the Valiums sure helps.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.