Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, JW1230, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445822 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#205018 - 02/13/08 03:56 PM Travelling or Running Away?
jf Offline

Hey guys,

I'm contemplating taking off to europe for the summer. Its been a rough year (probably the worst one i've had) but i don't know if i'm going because i want to see the world or if i'm just going to run away from everything. Has anybody else done anything like this before? find it helpful or harmful?

j-f

#205026 - 02/13/08 05:40 PM Re: Travelling or Running Away? [Re: jf]
Poet24 Offline

I have constantly tried to run away from things, all my life, not travelling so much, like to Europe, but if it is purely running away, it can be harmful, I know it was for me, but only you can determine if you are travelling or running away, no one else can answer that but you. Travelling can be a good thing, and helpful, and reinvigoratiing and help you find the strength to face the next day, the next rough patch, the next whatever you need to face. But I learned that runnign from your past, and fears, and thoughts, may seem comfortable for awhile, but you'd be running away for the rest of your life. You must determine the true reason, look into your heart and soul and you will know what you are doing. I don't mean to sound like a kill-joy, or downer, but I have run and run, and all it did was make things that much harder when I had to face them and look the demons of my past straight in the eye.

I hope you can find out what your true motives are, and I wish you good luck whatever you decide.

Peace, and good luck,

Poet 24

P.S. Don't take what I said as Gospel, I was merely relaying my experience, if it helped all the better. I know you will be able to determine what is best for you, no one else can tell you that, no one.

#205050 - 02/13/08 08:33 PM Re: Travelling or Running Away? [Re: Poet24]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
Just remember no matter how far that YOU run. YOU are still there.

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#205125 - 02/14/08 06:38 AM Re: Travelling or Running Away? [Re: OKIE MIKE]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Hello JF

I have taken a few trips/holidays whilst dealing with my CSA stuff. Mostly at times when I find there's too much to process and/or I need to get away from it all to maintain sanity.

I think if you look at it as taking time off from dealing with your issues, rather than running away, it would help you enjoy your trip more.

I have found when I get back, it can take a while to get back into it but I also have found I approach it with a fresh outlook.

#205215 - 02/14/08 07:53 PM Re: Travelling or Running Away? *DELETED* [Re: jf]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

#205221 - 02/14/08 08:57 PM Re: Travelling or Running Away? [Re: awakening]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
The thing is

if you are running away from something it will wait, sometimes patiently, for you to return
so I say go... take lots of pictures & send me a postcard \:\)

Could it be just a summer vacation like when you were a kid?

I remember trampolines & camping... tents & marshmallows burnt to a crisp

In your heart I think you will find your answer

#205242 - 02/14/08 11:42 PM Re: Travelling or Running Away? *DELETED* [Re: ineffable]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

#206502 - 02/20/08 11:58 PM Re: Travelling or Running Away? [Re: awakening]
jf Offline

thanks guys! all your guys thoughts have helped me cement my feelings around this.

i'm going!

#206700 - 02/22/08 04:41 AM Re: Travelling or Running Away? [Re: jf]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Hey JF

Good for you \:\) Hope you have a great trip !!!

#206775 - 02/22/08 04:15 PM Re: Travelling or Running Away? [Re: arronb]
imbroken Offline

Loc: NJ
It's funny you bring this up. My attack has just come out. I am just beginning to deal with this and have been only dealing with it for the past 2-3 weeks. In my free time, whether at work or sitting at home, all I do is look on travelocity for places to go. I know my problems aren't going away. I know that I will have to face them now or when I come back (if i go anywhere), but I can't help thinking that it would be nice to be somewhere warm, maybe somewhere with a beach, maybe somewhere that no one knows me. I just want to walk somewhere and pretend that I am not completely fucked up. I just want to be a regular person for a while. That's my vacation. Go somewhere that I don't have to be me.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.