Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
3 registered (AlexT, Obi, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63179 Topics
441788 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#206669 - 02/21/08 11:05 PM When your story is too long...
Bobbyslost Offline
New Here

Loc: Rural Oklahoma
So, after having done lots of different searches today on the computer regarding survivorship, etc. I finally joined this group. I have had this site given to me once before with the hopes that I might join it in the past.
(Yeah that was a ramble...)
I have done a lot of work on me in the past few years. I have done so much. In fact I have scaled mountains that some people didn't know were there. Having disclosed at age 12 (almost 13) after a few acting out type activities, I went through the court procedures and processes, spent several years while my perp was in a prison that was a mere 10 miles from where I lived at one point, to finally reaching the point where I faced him in a court after his release to request a Protective order.

My name is Bobby and I am 24 and live in a rural native american community. My family is one of those tight knit native ones, with closed lips and minds that are much like that as well. I have been healing and fighting for myself most of this entire process. I guess this post is just to say that, when your story is to long to share, and you find that someone that really wants in what is your response. How do you begin to break down that barrier? What do you say when they ask what the back story is? How do you respond?

Sorry if this seems a little weird... it's my very first post since I joined this group.

#206673 - 02/21/08 11:29 PM Re: When your story is too long... [Re: Bobbyslost]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Bobby,

I want to welcome you to MS, I'm sorry you need this place, but I do hope you find it helpful.

Your question about telling is a very common concern. Many guys here have waited a lot longer than you to disclose. (myself it was 11 years before I told anyone) You took a "brave" stand at 12. (yeah I know...native american.... brave.... bad pun) LOL I do hope you will read a few other posts about telling your story. It can be a very freeing feeling after you tell, but it should be done on your own terms. Please don't feel pressured by anyone.

Take your time and reveal what you want to whoever you feel is willing to support you. As you know, just because someone is family, doesn't mean they will understand. As time passes you will begin to realize who you will be able to talk to.

Again welcome to MS, you have found a great group of guys who will help and support you. All you have to do is ask, and many will come running to help.

I hope you will stick around,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#206674 - 02/21/08 11:34 PM Re: When your story is too long... [Re: Scoutvictim]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Welcome Bobby, so glad you decided to join MS. I think you made a great decision. Glad you're here and hope you will find the site as healing as I have.

Welcome and Stay strong
Mike

#206675 - 02/21/08 11:36 PM Re: When your story is too long... [Re: Bobbyslost]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Post your journey in stages. In the "Survivors Stories" sometimes our stories just seem to never end, Bobby; however, an easier way to break down the long story, is to post stages of our journey as in Vol. 1, Vol. 2, etc. In "Survivor Stories", you will see examples of posting a bit at a time, as you are able and feel comfortable. As far as what to say in response to others who are interested in your own story or journey, since no one has ever asked me that...not sure. If I wanted to share, I would be very careful...my own personal story is triggering, horrendous, sad and able to give people nightmares. I hope I have answered something of your question. One step at a time!

Howard

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.