Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
3 registered (Markgambier, GT13568, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63226 Topics
442125 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#206208 - 02/19/08 05:38 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: WalkingSouth]
menspeakout Offline
New Here

I see the humor, though not in the way the shirt intended.

#206230 - 02/19/08 07:31 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: menspeakout]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
One of my housemates in college became a Tibetan Buddhist monk, ordained by the Dalai Lama himself, and I learned a tremendous amount from him. Buddhism is a very attractive philosophy, and I'm pleased that it somehow manages to bridge the gap between my Marxist dialectical materialism and my neo-Kabbalistic Jewish mysticism. Indeed, if I were not a Jew, I'd probably be a Buddhist.

When I have actually allowed myself to practice meditation, it has been relaxing and invigorating. But just on a cognitive level the understanding of the impermanence of all things is very comforting.

No matter how awful life may be, no matter what terrible things may have happened to us in the past or will happen to us in the future, they are only temporary. Pain, sorrow, regret, fear -- all will pass away like a wisp of smoke on a windy day. Too often I get trapped in the mindset that if things suck now, then that means they'll suck forever. Not so -- nothing lasts forever.

The insight that desire and attachment to transitory things is the root of all suffering helps one focus on what one's true needs really are.

A friend of mine has had a great deal of success over the past two years integrating Buddhist teachings into his life and especially through meditation and yoga. I did yoga once a few years ago and enjoyed it, but I don't think it's my thing yet. But meditation -- I've got plenty of books on the subject and I know what to do. It's just finding the time to do it.

Traditionally, I've used sex and books and computer games to escape to nullify my thoughts. Fun, but not necessarily healthy.

#206350 - 02/20/08 11:23 AM Re: Buddhism [Re: VLinvictus]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
I saw this on Salon today & thought some might find it interesting

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/02/20/dharma_in_dive_bars/

#206382 - 02/20/08 02:05 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: ineffable]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I have a shirt that has a Buddha on it and says on the front: "What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?" On the back: "Make me one with everything."

LOL -- I like Buddhism in that a lot of Buddhists have a sense of humor about religion and it's not hands-off as much as western religions. \:\)

#206932 - 02/23/08 10:37 AM Re: Buddhism [Re: AndyJB2005]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I consider my two favorite philosophies Taoism and Zen Buddhism. I honestly don't know where i'd be right now without them. I really want to get back to going to this Zen meditation every Wednesday night in a beautiful Buddhist temple in town. I miss it. Anyway, i don't know if i'd be here now if not for what i learned from these two philosophies. It used to be that when i wanted to die i would attempt suicide. Now when i get to that point i just do what a Zen monk once put so simply to me.."just stop making this."

#207239 - 02/25/08 01:04 AM Re: Buddhism [Re: WalkingSouth]
zen-boy Offline
New Here

Originally Posted By: walkingsouth
A little levity never hurt, Laz. I saw that too. made me smile hysterically! Can one do that? Shutting up as well...

Indeed. If you meet the Buddha, kill him! \:\)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.