Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
6 registered (WriterKeith, gettingstronger, pufferfish, ethereo222, Suwanee, 1 invisible), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63171 Topics
441729 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#205885 - 02/18/08 02:53 PM satisfaction in punishing others?
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
it must feel good, no?

putting people behind bars

i've put people behind bars, long sentences too, not abusers, but violent people, people who tried to harm others, the others that i protected as best as i could, so that i was the one having plastic surgery by the end of it.

i sometimes think, that is a pretty long time, especially when the letters are written that boldly specify that they are there because of what they did to you and thanks to you for giving evidence.

but i don't feel any real satisfaction, in a way i would have felt better if i could have made a real difference, and not just follow an eye for an eye of our prison system but done something somehow deeper.

saying this, sometimes i also feel in the mood where i would happily employ exterminators for the worlds evils instead of educators to transform them.

is there satisfaction in punishing others?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#205891 - 02/18/08 03:14 PM Re: satisfaction in punishing others? [Re: king tut]
Barney Offline

Loc: Southern Utah/Northern Arizon
Hi King,

My thought is that you helped lots of people by putting the bad guys in jail. Had they not been in jail, how many lives would be affected in a negative way? You could have spared me or even some of the members of this group some unknown horror.

I think you deserve a great big thank you for your own personal sacrifice and for doing what you have done.

It sounds like you are no longer in the enforcement business and perhaps a thought is that you can find additional, more personally gratifying ways to help others vs throw them in jail.

Our society is much better off as a result of people like you.

Thanks,

B

#205892 - 02/18/08 03:15 PM Re: satisfaction in punishing others? [Re: king tut]
Barney Offline

Loc: Southern Utah/Northern Arizon
Hi King,

My thought is that you helped lots of people by putting the bad guys in jail. Had they not been in jail, how many lives would be affected in a negative way? You could have spared me or even some of the members of this group some unknown horror.

I think you deserve a great big thank you for your own personal sacrifice and for doing what you have done.

It sounds like you are no longer in the enforcement business and perhaps a thought is that you can find additional, more personally gratifying ways to help others vs throw them in jail.

Our society is much better off as a result of people like you.

Thanks,

B

#205900 - 02/18/08 04:22 PM Re: satisfaction in punishing others? [Re: Barney]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
The deeper Question is does this make You feel Good, that you have done good for the comunity. Or is it the power that you have over others.
I am not trying to be rude. But a lot of people on this list were abused by athurity figures.

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#205908 - 02/18/08 04:51 PM Re: satisfaction in punishing others? [Re: OKIE MIKE]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
sorry for confusion, i'm not an authority figure or in enforcement, i just decided to help people when they needed help, i don't know what i thought i could do against them, but i tried, my use of words does seem to imply what you read into, but general terms like "people" and "others" i used as to not give specifics about how many people, who, what exactly for etc

thanks for the replies

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#205911 - 02/18/08 05:01 PM Re: satisfaction in punishing others? [Re: OKIE MIKE]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
You're feeling like it's an eye for an eye but you've disregarded the protection you provided.

I think that is why "our" prisons provide treatment instead of just punishment. You MUST remember that "We" have been given life sentences. It's a fine line to walk but you have to put them on that scale, Lady Justices scale. She's holding a scale for a reason. Would you put any extra weight on a perpetrators? Seems to me it only goes one way if the system is fair.

They deserve a second chance, but not if it costs life sentences in return, then it's not being fair at all, it's only being compassionate.

Going to one side of compassion is not the answer at all, in fact it makes for a very unjust system.

The heart is in the right place but that "road to hell" is built on that isn't it.

Mike

Edited by mogigo (02/18/08 05:04 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.