Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
6 registered (JayBro, shockwaver, kcinohio, jq19712, Cam76, 1 invisible), 68 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62499 Topics
438057 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#205009 - 02/13/08 03:00 PM To T or not to T that is the question.
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Well, I just returned from my referral to my new T. I waited with a dysfuctional family for over 30 min in the waiting room which I assumed was a test to teach me my problems weren't so bad after all. Didn't work.

So I get in there and I am so antsy I want to smak him or climb the walls or run away but it is lot of money so I sit down. He wants to know why I am here which I already answered on the form I filled out that asked the same question. So I begin.

It was rough at the beginning but I had told it before so I just gave him the reader's digest condensed version. I answered his questions honestly and held back nothing, and yes I do mean nothng Ric. I figured what the heck.

We talked some more about my father and that was terrible and I was chewing the skin off my bottom lip before I realized it. Don't know why I do that. He wanted to know about my feelings of loss of control of my emotions that I put on the paper and I began to tell him about how certain memories affect me now and certain TV and Movies get me unusually emotional. I was doing ok for me anyway until I mentioned the Hanky memory that surfaced which is recounted in another post. I LOST it big time.

I sat there and bawled like a 4yo for probably 5 min. That is the longest I have ever allowed my self to be out of control. I actually felt 4 years old. It was the worst I have felt in a long time. I didn't feel embarassed to much though. After all he is getting paid good money to deal with this. After I calmed down some what I finished the story and broke again. GEEZ. He is not getting paid that much.

Anyway bottom line.. He wants to do Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy on me. Says he is good and has had great results. Skilled in this area and done lots of work with it. Wants me to commit for 8 weeks of uninterrupted therapy.
New car payments maybe? Or maybe he is good and this will help me recover I just don't know.

He is cautioning me about going to the WoR before it is completed. I still want to go. It was a lot of money and plane ticket is non refundable. I think I still will go anyway. I mean the guys there are experts at dealing with all of this stuff anyway is how I see it. Any suggestions?

Edited by Freedom49 (02/13/08 03:05 PM)

#205049 - 02/13/08 08:31 PM Re: To T or not to T that is the question. [Re: Freedom49]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I think you should email Howard Fradkin to tell him what is going on. He can then tell you whether or not he thinks it would be a good idea to do the WoR. When is the WoR scheduled?

TF-CBT is supposedly pretty good. It is a free course for therapists at the University of South Carolina website. Been meaning to take the course myself, just haven't gotten around to it. I don't think it is as powerful as EMDR and if you were going to the WoR while doing EMDR, it might not be such a good idea.

#205098 - 02/13/08 11:12 PM Re: To T or not to T that is the question. [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

It is scheduled at the end of March. I can do this. I can really. But if I have to wait to start therapy till after the WoR I will.

#205232 - 02/14/08 10:22 PM Re: To T or not to T that is the question. [Re: Freedom49]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Roger,

Do what you feel you need to do. Like Ken says, you may wish to contact Howard Fradkin and discuss it with him. He's a good guy and will have some excellent advise.

John

#205250 - 02/15/08 12:16 AM Re: To T or not to T that is the question. [Re: WalkingSouth]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I did thanks.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.