Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
3 registered (1islandboy, 2 invisible), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63104 Topics
441296 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204856 - 02/12/08 11:39 AM Letter Writing Advice
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Ok, my T wants me to write letters to two of the people I have quite a bit of anger toward. Though she wants me to try to write from the perspective of the age I was when the abuse happened.

I had planned on doing this before now, but I just can't find a way to start. Can anyone offer advice on how to start this thing off? I'm really struggling, and really don't want to go to my next session this Friday without having written anything.

Thanks for any input that anyone might be able to offer.

#204858 - 02/12/08 11:47 AM Re: Letter Writing Advice [Re: JustScott]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
You need to be ALONE and NOT bothered. Consider this as Holy Time, and you're to be LEFT ALONE. And since, being a family man, you're going to be asked for attention from the wife and kids, I suggest that you go to the local library and go into a little corner cubicle. It is here that you can FOCUS.

It's easier than you think. You just sit down and do it. You have a brain, you know how to write, and you remember what happened. I think you know exactly what to do. You're welcome to share it us, BUT you may also have shit of such a personal and embarrassing nature that you don't want to. I hope they let you leave the house! \:\) I know it's not easy for family men to just take off for an afternoon to be alone. Good luck Scott.

#204862 - 02/12/08 11:53 AM Re: Letter Writing Advice [Re: Hauser]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Scott,
I like what Hauser said about getting alone somewhere. Excellent idea.
I would add that you can take a toy or something from you childhood or something kid like with you to get you focused on the age. Then just tell what your feeling and why your angry. You can go into what happened specifics or not but hold or look at the toy and just go back and feel. It will flow.

I for one would be interested in what you come up with if you would care to post but that is not at all necessary and it might distract you if your thinking about how it would look on here so don't think about how it looks just let it flow.

Good luck.

#204868 - 02/12/08 12:25 PM Re: Letter Writing Advice [Re: Freedom49]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Sir Scott the Important,

I like the ideas Roger and Hauser have shared.

Let me tell you a few things that help me write. I will sometimes take the third person view. I try and write as if I'm a news reporter. This allows me to think clearly while I go through the process of explaining what happened.

I will sometimes take the route of writing a story. (*wink* like about queens and owls *wink*) If I start with a simple phrase like ... "Once upon a time there was a little boy named Scotty...", it can get me in the right frame of mind. I find that once I start writing, everything just continues to flow. After I get the main points out, (ie anger, betrayal, hurt and revenge) I will then go back and edit the story to be more of a letter. This has helped me a lot in the past.

I find that once I get going, the feelings and words will just start to flow. I also find writing to be very theraputic. Most of the stuff I have ever writen, no one has ever seen. Which of course means I'm not writing it for anyone, just myself. This helps me clear my head and express feelings that can be good to let out.

I hope this will help you get started.

Good luck, you can do this.

Luv ya,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#204872 - 02/12/08 12:52 PM Re: Letter Writing Advice [Re: Scoutvictim]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Scott,

I would also like to add my approval of all the ideas shared so far. One other thing I'd add is to go into it knowing that these are not letters anyone else will see. This is totally about giving yourself free reign to put down on paper whatever you need to say. The essential part isn't so much that anyone else hear what we have to say, but that we finally give ourselves permission to speak out, that we give a voice to that silenced child. As long as WE hear what that child needs to say, that's the most important part.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#204884 - 02/12/08 01:29 PM Re: Letter Writing Advice [Re: tartugas]
Minute2Minute Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MB, Canada
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the post. My T has been talking about a similar exercise and I've been avoiding it. There are some good suggestions here for getting started that I think I might try. I've found in my journal writing passages or pages where it looks as though a child did write them. I hadn't really noticed them before. The one thing I do when journalling is free-form writing where I ignore all grammatical structure and spelling and just write everything that is in my head. I guess by shedding the idea that I have to be structured I'm able to put down anything and everything. Maybe you could try something like that. After, you can go back and make a letter out of it. I'd like to say I'm going to give it a go but I don't really think I'm ready for that yet.

Take care of you,
SCOTT

#204894 - 02/12/08 02:16 PM Re: Letter Writing Advice *DELETED* [Re: JustScott]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

#204898 - 02/12/08 02:31 PM Re: Letter Writing Advice [Re: awakening]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
See if this gives you some ideas about how to start. Pay attention to the 5 part letter format.
Ken

http://www.malesurvivor.org/ArchivedPages/singer3.html

#204902 - 02/12/08 04:13 PM Re: Letter Writing Advice [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO

Scott,

Ken Singer's post was really helpful to me. I rambled on and on in my first letter. I said what was on my mind and that was good therapy for me. Then I rewrote the letter to my perp. using some logic and Ken's 5 part format.

My T. told me after I read the letter to him that if I wanted to send mail the letter, I could do so just as it was written. However, I will plan on confronting my perp. in person when I am strong enough to do so.

Write whatever comes to your heart. You will be surprised how easy it is to put your thoughts into words.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#204904 - 02/12/08 04:18 PM Re: Letter Writing Advice [Re: KENKEN]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Wow, thank you all for the input. I think I'll take some of everything and see what I can do!

Just need to find a time to get away and alone. It's snowing pretty bad here in PA, so probably not tonight. We'll see, definitely in the next day or so.

You all have been a huge help and encouragement to me. Not just in this thread, but in many others.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.