Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
1 registered (lapchinj), 16 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64194 Topics
447979 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204533 - 02/10/08 10:45 AM Buddhism
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Are there any Buddhist (or Buddhist-like) guys here? \:\) I study it -- though only in practice and theory, not as a religion -- and it's helped me so much in my recovery!

It's a good way to get our of out Selves and look within, I think. Any experience in this?

#204541 - 02/10/08 11:04 AM Re: Buddhism [Re: AndyJB2005]
MagRaith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Andy -

My therapist suggested that I read a book called "Buddhism Plain and Simple" by Steve Hagen. It is a very basic introduction to buddhist principles. I've read and re-read the book several times, and I find that the buddhist principles feel right to me, in a way that conventional beliefs about God, religion, Christianity -- don't. I have interest in studying further. Do you have resources or suggestions that have helped you? I find I have to really concentrate on what I read and read it several times before it starts to make sense.

Thanks for bringing up the subject, I'm interested to hear how you study, how you apply to your life.

Kurt

#204703 - 02/11/08 10:50 AM Re: Buddhism [Re: AndyJB2005]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I've called myself a buddhist for several years now - read lots of books and maintained an erratic meditation practice. It has been very helpful to me. I'll go through my books later when I'm at home and post more!

Mike

#204751 - 02/11/08 06:17 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: mike5]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
hi

many kinds/schools of buddhism to choose from

google "Thich Nhat Hahn" or "Pema Chodron" or if you are really brave "Osho"

i have learned from all of them

namaste

#204770 - 02/11/08 09:05 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: ineffable]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
I went to religious university where one of the elective courses was to study another religion - I chose buddhism.
It was interesting - I did a 'lab' at a zen shrine outside of Washington DC where I learned different kinds of meditation (walking and sitting.)

I don't ascribe to buddhism - but certainly meditation has been something good to me. I take solace in a lot of teachings from all religions I've studied.

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#204961 - 02/13/08 04:47 AM Re: Buddhism [Re: AndyJB2005]
milarepa_rocks Offline
New Here

I've been practicing and studying buddhism on and off for years and began practicing intensely about 5 years ago. I have a daily mediation practice and have read pretty widely across various buddhist and yogic traditions.

I've found a buddhist or zen practice to be amazingly helpful in my own healing and recovery. The practice of just sitting and training your mind to be present and not consumed with flight or distraction has been pretty powerful for me.

#204962 - 02/13/08 05:01 AM Re: Buddhism [Re: MagRaith]
milarepa_rocks Offline
New Here

Originally Posted By: MagRaith
Andy -

I find I have to really concentrate on what I read and read it several times before it starts to make sense.

That's pretty much the essence of it, you have to keep coming back to the practice, the readings, the concept. Steve Hagen teaches that it's all about coming back to the cushion, to the breath, to the mind. Just keep coming back and soon it becomes part of your daily practice, the rythym of your life.

His teacher was Dainin Katagiri who wrote a book called Returning to Silence. It was recommended to me by a therapist over 15 years ago and there's a quote I love in it that I always come back to to this day:

"The main purpose of Buddhism is to form the habit of practice as a vow forever. This is just taking a journey in the universe, day by day, step by step. It is like walking in a mist. We don't know what the mist is, we don't know where we are walking or why; all we have to do is just walk. This is Buddha's practice."

Steve Hagen has a new book out called Meditation Now or Never that looks pretty good too.

#205325 - 02/15/08 01:59 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: milarepa_rocks]
menspeakout Offline
New Here

I grew up Catholic, but have found Buddhism very appealing. I especially liked the views on attachment and attaching ourselves to things and people, and how that leads to suffering. It stresses finding the 'middle way' or balance in our lives.

I am reading a book called "Awakening The Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das. It talks about Buddhism in practical, western-oriented terms. I definitely suggest it for people that are curious about the religion.

#205496 - 02/16/08 02:07 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: menspeakout]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
This is somewhat off topic, and I hope I don't offend anybody, but I think it is hilarious; I saw a T-shirt at Mardi Gras that said,

"I have the body of a God... unfortunately it's Budda!"

Sorry. Shutting up now...

Lazarus

#205542 - 02/16/08 06:43 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: Lazarus]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

A little levity never hurt, Laz. I saw that too. made me smile hysterically! Can one do that? Shutting up as well...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.