Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62563 Topics
438359 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#203333 - 02/03/08 12:42 PM Support Groups
Dude. Offline

Loc: USA
I am completely alone in my "recovery." Are there any local support groups out there?

Edited by Dude. (02/03/08 12:43 PM)

#203336 - 02/03/08 12:49 PM Re: Support Groups [Re: Dude.]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
I have to suggest that you are NOT alone. There are more than 4000 guys on this website that are here for you to talk to and to support you. Of course there are support groups, counselling services and therapists who can also help. It's good to find as many of those other resources as you can.

But you are not alone. Trust me.

Lazarus

#203337 - 02/03/08 12:51 PM Re: Support Groups [Re: Dude.]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Dude,

Well, I would have to say you will have to be more specific. Your profile says you're in the USA. Well, yes their are many support groups in the USA.

I could make a list for you, but with 50 states, and thousands of cities, the list would get kind of long.

Have you checked the home page?

Also look under the "classified board". Many guys will mention local groups they are trying to start.

Good luck in your hunt.

Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#203349 - 02/03/08 02:36 PM Re: Support Groups [Re: Scoutvictim]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dude,

A good place to start is to ask your therapist if she knows of any local support groups or group therapy settings for male sexual abuse survivors. If she does not ask her to ask her colleagues in the local area.

Best wishes in your search.

John

#203476 - 02/04/08 06:57 AM Re: Support Groups [Re: WalkingSouth]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Dude, I understand this feeling. I love MS and all the guys here who understand, but I too would like that face to face contact. I guess it's just the "next level" if you will. I've been looking long and hard in my area, and haven't found anything yet. Closest thing I've found, and I'm thinking about checking them out this coming friday is a group called "Celebrate Recovery". When I first checked out their website I was going to write off even looking into it, as they stress their focus on overcoming addictions etc, which I really don't have a problem with at this point in time. I called the local director of the group in my area and after talking to him I figured I'd at least check it out some time and see, as he mentioned that they have people attending that are struggling with abuse issues, abandonment, and a number of other 'non-addiction' issues. So I'm going to give it a whirl at least once or twice and see if I can find anyone else dealing with what I'm dealing with. Can't hurt. Who knows, even if know one there has experienced what we have here, perhaps I'll at least find some local shoulders to lean on.

I will keep looking for a dedicated MS group, and barring that, when I'm ready I'll will do what I can to start one up. My area is severly lacking in resources, so maybe I can do my part to help that out. We'll see. I'm not quite ready for that step yet, but I've got it in my sights for sometime down the line.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.