Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63809 Topics
445578 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203071 - 02/01/08 06:29 PM How much of my life can I blame on my abuser?
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I recently got a call from my doctor telling me that my liver count was elevated again and she wanted me to see a specalist for a possible fatty liver/NASH. This is most likely due to my being approximately 100-120lbs overweight for my height. It got me a bit angry at my brother (abuser) but then I got to thinking how much of my life's problems can I blame on him. Maybe all of them I don't know. My weight is likely due to my depression, anxiety, isolation (lack of excersise).

So what do you think, where do I draw the line?

Jason

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#203076 - 02/01/08 07:06 PM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: onlyakid]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Jason I try to have this perspective when dealing with stuff. Every problem i ever had until the day i realized the abuse was not ok and not deserved was the perps fault. But now i am responsible for my self i have choice now and i can chose how to live my life.

I think it is good to say he hurt me he caused me to have these horrible problems but then we must take the second step of saying okay how can i fix these problems?

hope this helps, Christopher

#203081 - 02/01/08 08:14 PM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: theatrekid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jason,

It seems to me that it's difficult to look at anyone's past and identify which issues are entirely the result of abuse, which are not at all related to abuse, and which lie somewhere in between. That said, the deepest and most catastrophic impact of abuse is not so much the physical damage as the emotional harm done to our feelings about ourselves. I think it would be safe to say that any such issues we have are related to our abuse history in some fundamental way. Even as adults we can find that CSA magnifies the impact of something way out of proportion to its original significance.

But let's say we could separate things, quantify them and say, okay x% is from abuse and y% is from other causes. How does that help us?

The bottom line that regardless of what or who is to blame, we ourselves have the responsibility to face these issues and do something about them. No one else can do that for us.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#203103 - 02/01/08 10:57 PM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: roadrunner]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
Jason, I definately believe that sexual trama, has an effect on our daily lives. It effects our relainships with every one that we meet on a dailey basis. I believe that it effects how we look at our selves. If we have a low enough oppinion of our selves we begin to not give a shit what others think.
But to aunser your question Yes this can destroy a person, if you do not fight every day to keep your sanity .
By the way I am 5'7" and weigh 250 lbs
So I do understand being fat.
Just remember, God made short people & tall people. Just like He made skinny people & fat people

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#203105 - 02/01/08 11:10 PM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: OKIE MIKE]
mvnforwrd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
I dont think there is a line that can be drawn. If you feel that something is related to the abuse then it is. I try to be concious as should any victim on what can or cannot be related to the abuse/trauma. i guess that comes with time!

example:

If you stub your toe getting out of the shower that is your own damn fault, but if you stub your toe because you are having a bit of rage because the voices are talking to you then that is related to the abuse.

As Christopher Said eventually we all try to reach the level were we are responsible for ourselves and can make choices in good concious. I personally llok forward to that day. As for now all my feelings and actions are related to the abuse/trauma.

#203141 - 02/02/08 09:08 AM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: mvnforwrd]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
I addressed this in my book because the blame game is important. I came to this conclusion; We can blame everything on the abuse, a child is not responsible for anything but as we grow into adulthood I beleive we are responsible for our actions; it is upon arriving at this "I am responsible for my actions" part of our recovery that we gain power. I felt okay with blaming everything on the abuse until I became aware or began dealing with the abuse. From that point on I realized that for me to heal and deal or overcome I had to take the power back and begin being responsible for a better outcome. Blaming is looking back, which is important in the recovery process but as you grow looking forward and being responsible for your future gives the power back to the person it belongs to. So blame is essential and works in stages depending on your progress. Blame is part of letting go, letting go of the thoughts that I carried for twenty plus years, "it was my fault he came on to me, I must have done something because adults don't make mistakes," that kind of childlike thinking goes away when you place the blame where it belongs, on the abuser. Long story and lots of rambling later;

Blame the abuser for the abuse and the aftermath until you get it out of your system and when you get ready, take the power and run with it, be responsible for our own outcome no one else is going to.

#203148 - 02/02/08 10:31 AM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: John Oarc]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
You absolutely right John. BTW just bought your book and started reding it yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

Roger

#203149 - 02/02/08 10:39 AM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: Freedom49]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
I hope it helps Freedom49,

The only real satisfaction I get from the book is feedback from you guys so if you have time drop me a line and let me know what you thought of it.

Thanks,

#203152 - 02/02/08 10:45 AM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: Freedom49]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
The end result is still the same. You are driving a beautiful new car that has just been bashed and slashed by vandals. It still drives...somewhat....but that's the car you are stuck with. You know exactly where the damage came from...THEM. You can label all the dents and scrapes and cuts with who did what to your car. The police and car-professionals can help you inventory the damage. The police can even throw the bastards in jail for it...but you are still driving a F'd-up car.

Keep driving it as-is or start fixing it...one dent...one slash at a time.

(quick...take a photo of Rob being all "determined" and stuff...he musta just come from one of his groups)

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#203173 - 02/02/08 11:48 AM Re: How much of my life can I blame on my abuser? [Re: Still]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I would start asking your parents questions and look at what you were like before you were being sexually abused by your perp brother. Were you overweight as a little boy? If you look to food as a coping mechanism, I would put about 99% of the blame on that perp brother of yours, if you were ALWAYS overwieght and simply never addressed it as you grew older, then I would put a little more blame on yourself. Were you always overweight Jason?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.