Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63992 Topics
446669 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#202990 - 02/01/08 03:17 AM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Dude.]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: Dude.
Do you guy's think she will put me on anti-depressants. I looked for a female therapist. I feel more comfortable talking to women.

Congrats on getting a therapist. My T is female also. I chose a woman for the same reason. Still took me a while to really open up about the abuse. But when I did she helped me get through all the disinformation floating around my mind. I have been seeing her for over 2 years now and we have made wonderful progress.

I have a psychiatrist that prescribes my medications. I take and anti-depressant and something for anxiety. Both medications have helped me through some really rough times. Right now I'm on a low dose of each, about 1/3 of what I used to be on.

Sometimes we need medications sometimes we don't, it all depends on how severe the abuse affects our daily life.

For me it's a must right now but in the long term I may be able to go even lower on the dose and sometime in the future of medication completely.
I wish you well on your journey of recovery.

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

#202993 - 02/01/08 03:39 AM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: GateKPR4]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
Dude,

In terms of what to expect, I would recommend going into it without any expectations!

I had a really tough time getting in the door for my first therapy session. I never bonded well with my first therapist. My second therapist, however, established more trust with me in my first session than my first therapist had managed in 6 months. I hope it will be a good experience. If this therapist only works with male sexual abuse survivors, chances are she knows what she's doing and has a high level of expertise in the area.

Also, before you go have a read over Ken Singer's "Consumer's Guide to Therapist Shopping" (http://www.malesurvivor.org/consumers-guide.html) which is a tremendously helpful article that will give you practical advice on guidance for identifying if you've got the right therapist for you.

This is an important step, and again, I hope it will be a truly rewarding experience for you. Good job for making the appointment!

~Brian

#203007 - 02/01/08 09:32 AM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: frost]
weapher Offline

Loc: Oregon
I agree totally with frost. No expectations. Since the path we all go down during this healing process is different the expectations will be different.

I guess there is one thing you should expect... That this process is worth all of the time you are going to put into it...

keep going

weapher

btw... my T is a female also that specializes in CSA.

#203024 - 02/01/08 01:38 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: weapher]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Good for you on getting in to see a T, Dude. A huge step right there.

One thing to keep in mind... two things actually... okay, three:

Remember you are in charge. You have every right to stay there or walk out the door no matter what. Having said that...

Part of a T's job is to challenge us to think about things we don't want to think about, and to point out things that we don't want to see.

Give yourself the time to get to know your T, and let her get to know you. As was said above, you don't have to dump your whole story the first visit. You don't even have to go into the details as long as she has enough information to work with.

#203083 - 02/01/08 08:29 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Dewey2k]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Dude,

I want to comment a bit on something Dwayne says that's VERY important:

Originally Posted By: Dewey2k
Give yourself the time to get to know your T, and let her get to know you. As was said above, you don't have to dump your whole story the first visit. You don't even have to go into the details as long as she has enough information to work with.

We ALL feared that first session, probably because we were expecting to be trashed, blamed or judged in some way. That won't happen. Your T is experienced in these issues and will know how nervous you will be. She won't sit you down and begin with a lot of triggery gross-out questions. More likely she will want to get to know you and begin working on the establishment of trust.

How fast you get into the rough stuff will be up to you. It's good to press yourself a bit, take some risks and trust your T, but if at any time you feel you are getting into territory you can't handle yet, just say so. The T will be glad to have the input. After all, her job is to guide you through the minefield with the least possible new pain and trauma.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#203135 - 02/02/08 08:50 AM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: roadrunner]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dude,

Like one of the other guys said, getting to the T for the first time is the hardest. I worked myself into a Migraine stressing about it but oh, did it ever feel good to get there, be heard, and know that I was believed! It was well worth the stress and fretting I had to do to make it there.

You're the driver in a lot of ways when it comes to your journey in therapy. With the T's help you'll be allowed to talk about stuff when and as you are ready to. If she's good she'll steer you the directions you need to go, but it's your journey and she will understand that.

Good wishes as you start this path.

Lots of love,

John

#203264 - 02/02/08 11:11 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: WalkingSouth]
Dude. Offline

Loc: USA
What will she do? Listen to me and give me advice?

#203276 - 02/03/08 02:19 AM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Dude.]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Initially she'll probably just want to get acquainted. She'll want to hear what you feel you need or want to say. Her goal will probably be to make you feel as comfortable and confident that she can be trusted and that she actually hears what you're saying and affirms that it's real.

#203334 - 02/03/08 12:46 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: WalkingSouth]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Dude,

The best Therapists listen and ask questions. The important part is that they ask the RIGHT questions, the ones that will help you figure out the answers for yourself. One word of advice; in order to ask the right questions, your T has to know everything. Anything you hide, anything you withhold from them is only doing a disservice to you. Be honest with your T.

Good luck!

Lazarus

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.