Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63570 Topics
444146 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#202947 - 01/31/08 10:20 PM Starting Therapy
Dude. Offline

Loc: USA
My first session is Wednesday. What can I expect? This therapist only works with victims of sexual abuse.

#202949 - 01/31/08 10:35 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Dude.]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
If he/she is good they will make you feel safe and comfortable so you can talk.
R

#202951 - 01/31/08 10:46 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Freedom49]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
Don't feel you have to tell your entire story on your first session.

It was important for me to feel I was safe and that I could trust. This is your session and you can go at your own speed.

I am glad you are getting professional help. It was a big step for me, but it sure was worth it. My T is awesome, I would not be this far alone in my journey without him.

You are doing the right thing. We are all here for you.

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#202952 - 01/31/08 10:51 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Dude.]
Dude. Offline

Do you guy's think she will put me on anti-depressants. I looked for a female therapist. I feel more comfortable talking to women.

#202953 - 01/31/08 10:57 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Dude.]
Paul1959 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Only MD's or Psychiatrists can put you on meds. Is she one of those? Otherwise, she can set you up with a psychiatrist if she thinks you might need meds.
Glad you're going to a T. This journey is almost impossible without one.
Paul

#202954 - 01/31/08 11:01 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Dude.]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a therapist can get you on any medications. She could direct you to a psychiatrist who could. My guess is she will be more interested in talking with you and getting to know you?

Are you wanting to be on anti-depressants, or are you afraid she will want to put you on them? My guess is that wouldn't be the area of emphasis right away. The fact that you might be depressed given what you have been through I think she would understand that.

#202956 - 01/31/08 11:08 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: ericc]
Dude. Offline

Originally Posted By: ericc
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a therapist can get you on any medications. She could direct you to a psychiatrist who could. My guess is she will be more interested in talking with you and getting to know you?

Are you wanting to be on anti-depressants, or are you afraid she will want to put you on them? My guess is that wouldn't be the area of emphasis right away. The fact that you might be depressed given what you have been through I think she would understand that.

We talked about anti-depressants over the phone (I bought it up) and she said we would talk about it. I was on wellbutrin about 15 months ago for about 2 months. It did seem to make me calm.

#202957 - 01/31/08 11:17 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: Dude.]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Okay. Paul verified what I thought. She could direct you to a psychiatrist would could do that if she thought it was a good idea. I think no matter what, as you are able to deal with the overwhelming of emotions you have that a lot of that stuff will get better. But getting on something if it seemed appropriate might help along the way.

#202958 - 01/31/08 11:24 PM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: ericc]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Hey, good deal. That's great.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#202985 - 02/01/08 02:24 AM Re: Starting Therapy [Re: LandOfShadow]
Minute2Minute Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MB, Canada
Way to go Dude! You'll be glad you took this step. The hardest part of seeing a therapist was getting there the first time. Once I was there, I couldn't stop myself. Of course, everyone is different, but I went there with the mindset that this person was there to listen to me and could help me. At the time, the floodgates were open so to speak, and I couldn't hold back any longer. It may be different for you. What I did notice, after my next visit, was that he did make me feel safe and comfortable enough to discuss my issues. I'm not totally convinced that this guy is the right one for me, but at least I'm not as afraid of talking to a professional anymore.

As for the anti-depressants, I've been on Paxil for 10 years. They made me "feel" better, but they did nothing for healing. I needed help with that. I didn't get that help when I first went on them. And, now that I've been on them for so long, getting off them is potentially worse than why I went on them in the first place. Because of the intense emotional upheaval of trying to deal with my abuse, I don't really think they're doing a damn thing for me right now. My doctor wanted to increase my dosage (which I refused) because I don't want to have a false sense of feeling "better". I need to know that I'm working through the pain, the shame, the self-loathing, the sadness, the anger, and every other feeling I have. You're therapist will help you make a decision that is in YOUR best interests. Allow her to help you make that decision.

Again, congratulations on finding a therapist. It's another step forward to a healed you.

Take care and good luck with your first session,
SCOTT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.