Newest Members
wraphd, blufish, JPmc, rr433, pjmd
12435 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
8 registered (dan_in_newengland, aniceguy, motmcd, 5 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12435 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445807 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#202076 - 01/28/08 05:57 PM Shame & Guilt: Masters of Disguise
Minute2Minute Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MB, Canada
I just finished reading this book by Jane Middleton-Moz. It has had a big impact on me and I identified with something on every page. While she only mentions CSA in passing on two occasions in the book, I finally found some real words to put to a lot of the feelings of shame. She touches on the difference between shame and guilt. She discusses a lot of the displayed behaviors of adults who were shamed as children. Some of her examples of how children may be shamed are a little weak compared to what we've been through, but the impact in adults is no less poignant. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a quick read, well laid out, and is written in easy to understand language. There are no answers with how to deal with shame, but it definitely helps to identify and understand behaviors and attitudes about the self that may be based partly on the impact of shame.

#202592 - 01/30/08 01:33 PM Re: Shame & Guilt: Masters of Disguise [Re: Minute2Minute]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
M2M,

Thanks for the heads-up. This book sounds like a good one and I'll have a look. I think shame is one of the last bad feelings about ourselves that a survivor gets rid of, so it will be interesting to see her take on it.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.