Newest Members
uvagrad4, cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X.
12497 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
7 registered (lapchinj, cricket1007, JHNebraska, 3 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12497 Members
74 Forums
64171 Topics
447798 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#202120 - 01/28/08 09:50 PM High School Reunion
Derdlecar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ogden Utah, USA
I just received an invitation in the mail to my 35th high school reunion. I almost didn't open the envelope when I saw who it was from. But then I opened it and started to read and I just about had to run for the toilet so that I could puke. Man, I thought I was going to loose it.

My high school was not a "normal" one. It was a boarding school that my parents sent me too and there was a whole lot of bad stuff that happened there. I can only think of one person in my class that I would like to see, and I see him 2 or 3 times a year anyway.

What I'm wondering is if I should go or not. What I'm thinking is that if I go I would be facing my demons. I have found that the only way to deal with things that bother me is to ho straight through the middle. On the other hand, what could be gained by going.

I did go to the little shack where the taxi guy abused me and my little brother. That place and it's memory has lost most of its power over me. Anyway, this is my ramblings in my head. Thanks for listening.

Love ya all
Darrel

#202128 - 01/28/08 10:18 PM Re: High School Reunion [Re: Derdlecar]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Darrel if reading the invite made you feel sick because of all the memories it brought up. I would think you aren't ready to go yet. Someday you will be ready to go there and face your demons but maybe now isn't the right time. thats my thought anyways

Christopher

#202229 - 01/29/08 06:17 AM Re: High School Reunion [Re: Derdlecar]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
Darrel,

High school, for me, was also a hideous experience, albeit for significantly different reasons. I basically just hated the world at the time, and felt like the world hated me.

I am approaching my 10-year reunion next year and I have already made the decision that I won't be going. Similarly to you, I keep in touch with the only ones who truly mattered to me. Other than that, I don't care to see the rest or to revisit those old memories and faces [i was bullied quite a lot].

I agree that if you nearly vomited just by opening the letter, then perhaps this is one battle you can sit on the sidelines for and just not worry about it. The choice is eventually yours. I think in this case you need to decide if the possible benefits outweigh the possible risks. Sounds to me like that isn't the case here.

All the best,
~Brian

#202244 - 01/29/08 08:03 AM Re: High School Reunion [Re: frost]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Darrel,

If you opt for not attending the reunion that doesn't mean you are weak or unwilling to face the challenge of your issues. It could as easily mean that you are just staying safe.

Suppose you did go? What would you gain? Can you think of any way you would be helped by that experience? Remember that going to the shack was a deeply emotional experience and you had your brother and Dwayne to support you. A reunion will be different.

If you can't see any gains to be made, I would give it a miss.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#202306 - 01/29/08 12:55 PM Re: High School Reunion [Re: roadrunner]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Darrel,

I also see the coming reunion of my schoolmates as a challenge. I did not like some teachers, and I did not like some people.

I understand you.

You have you right to decide, just evaluate the possibilities.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.