Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, MissesMe), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63772 Topics
445343 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#202171 - 01/28/08 11:22 PM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: blueshift]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
blueshift,

"OK. Now i have warned you and if i offend any one, i should be off the hook for it, since the offended party chose to read on despite the warning."

Well, yes and no. Just because a warning is placed on a post does not give a poster license to post any marginalizing or ridiculing statements. Just a friendly reminder. If one is angry with God, by all means say so. If you feel it's bunk, feel free to say. But canons of decency are still expected toward fellow survivors of a spiritual bend in this or any forum, please.

As for Mr. Carlin, I've heard that logic trap ever since I was a teenager. Mr. Carlin is a pretty funny guy some days, but that statement made about as much sense to me as divide-by-zero. Is there any purpose in making a rock so heavy one cannot lift it? I can come up with a logic trap too, but the tomatoes would cover me in no time.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#202191 - 01/28/08 11:51 PM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: blueshift]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
lol, hey I found a nice tolerant christian you can have this conversation with, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCh2FXzD6R4

\:\) LOL

#202197 - 01/29/08 12:10 AM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: mogigo]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Well, Mike, you know what they say about stereotypes.

(sigh)

Edited by FormerTexan (01/29/08 12:14 AM)

1. That

#202200 - 01/29/08 12:18 AM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: FormerTexan]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Yea, for sure Andy, it's hard to be an Atheist and have to see that there are people like this. Scary actually.

Don't worry Andy, I would never judge a people, religion, or race by one example. I just think it's good to show extremism in all it's forms so we can denounce it when it shows it's ugly side.

Mike

#202204 - 01/29/08 01:22 AM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: FormerTexan]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I have deleted my original post. Please understand that my intent was not to attack anyone. As someone who has suffered from the psychologically damaging aspects of fundamentalist Christianity, it is hard for me to remain silent on the subject, particularly after reading posts by people who still suffer as i did from the kinds of shame and guilt that i have suffered from as a result of those beliefs.

I don't seem to be able to speak on this subject though without some of my feelings coming through and offending people, so i guess my only choice is to stay off the subject completely and let those who suffer needlessly suffer needlessly. I doubt there is anything i could say that would change it anyway.

I do feel though that i should have as much right in this forum to post atheist or Taoist views as Christians do to post Christian views, and that no one's views on religion or spirituality should be regarded as objectionable simply because they are opposed to someone else's.

#202210 - 01/29/08 01:49 AM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: mogigo]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
That was hysterical! lol I have to say though that the expression on that little girls face spoke volumes. And it doesn't necessarily have to be someone screaming hysterically like that lady to affect children that way.
And that is no laughing matter. It's going to be very hard for me to keep from stepping on toes regarding religion when i know so well the suffering it causes, but i will try my best to bite my tongue.

#202245 - 01/29/08 08:04 AM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: blueshift]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Blue,

I'm sorry you felt like you had to pull your post. You do have every right to express your feelings and beliefs, and I didn't see anything marginal or rediculous in your thread. But I know how you feel; I've been chased out of this forum more than once myself. No offense intended, I'm sure...

Repost this in Off Topic or Unmoderated... Our presence here is almost as offensive as a homophobe in Gay survivors. After all, there are only two groups of people left who it is still Politically Correct to be prejudiced against; Gays and Athiests. Gays and "Non-believers"...

Respectfully submitted,

Lazarus

#202285 - 01/29/08 11:28 AM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: Lazarus]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
blueshift,

" I do feel though that i should have as much right in this forum to post atheist or Taoist views as Christians do to post Christian views, and that no one's views on religion or spirituality should be regarded as objectionable simply because they are opposed to someone else's."

I personally have no problem whatsoever with people posting how
angry they are at God, or expressing rage over "why didn't God help me?" Those are legitimate questions.
Any statement that keeps the point of view in the realm of "I think" or "I feel" is completely valid.

It is not my intent to invalidate your post. I for one know what it's like to be spiritually abused, as my third perp was a church counselor. Am I angry about it? Absolutely! A man used spirituality against me to fulfill his twisted desires.

Andy

P.S. Should you decide to follow Lazarus' suggestion, "Unmoderated" is now called "Open Forum."

Edited by FormerTexan (01/29/08 12:06 PM)

1. That

#202288 - 01/29/08 11:44 AM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: FormerTexan]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Lazarus,

"After all, there are only two groups of people left who it is still Politically Correct to be prejudiced against; Gays and Athiests. Gays and "Non-believers"..."

A few years ago, I remember a "writer" in the Rocky Mountain News suggesting that we should bring back throwing Christians to the lions. Movies such as Dogma and Saved are written off to Christians as "can't you take a joke?" In light of these and other examples, I must respectfully disagree with the above statement. Though I disagree, I can see your point in light of a movie such as Contact, in which an atheist was shamed before a group of top folks.

Andy

Edited by FormerTexan (01/29/08 11:49 AM)

1. That

#202299 - 01/29/08 12:30 PM Re: Blueshift's rant [Re: FormerTexan]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This is actually very comical:

Originally Posted By: Lazarus

After all, there are only two groups of people left who it is still Politically Correct to be prejudiced against; Gays and Athiests. Gays and "Non-believers"...

because of all the prejudice i have observed in this forum, the majority comes FROM Gays and "non-believers" TOWARDS Christians...

I find it interesting that Christians are ALL lumped together here and judged as one...
while it is true that i have had my run ins in this forum, it has always been on an individual basis, due to the person, not their sexual orientation nor because they were an atheist, solely on the individual...

just my $0.02

buzz

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.