Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
5 registered (susie, CafeMan, 3 invisible), 50 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62512 Topics
438095 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#206225 - 02/19/08 07:08 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: MemoryVault]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I have heard about that i will look into it \:\)

he created such interesting characters and the setting was amazing.

#206289 - 02/19/08 11:55 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: theatrekid]
user2007 Offline

I guess I never really got the fantasy around Harry Potter. People standing the whole night in a huge line outside a bookstore just to buy a book (at least it happened here in uk).

By the way, I can recommend you "The Chronicles of Narnia" from C S Lewis. Seven books, great stories. Don't let Disney's crapy film think it's a bad series.

Edited by user2007 (04/24/11 12:04 AM)
All this pavement"

~ John Mayer

#206296 - 02/20/08 12:30 AM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: user2007]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

McCormick I read Narnia when i was little they were the first story books i ever read. They were great stories. I also enjoy J.R.R Tolkien's Hobbit and Lotr. I apreciate the stories of Narnia but it is based of belief that has no bearing over me i just can't relate to the children in the series. but Harry Potter did something different Instead of making a fantasy story Rowling made a story that we can all relate to. and then added on top of it the mystery of Hogwarts. if Harry Potter was a story about a normal boy growing up in similar circumstances triumphing over his abusive family and choosing good over evil it would still be an amazing series. That is the true magic of the harry potter the characters grab you and you love them and hate them as if they were real people.

If you havnt read them i strongly recomend them. They will be remembered as one of the greatest Fantasy series right up there With the Hobit.

#207419 - 02/25/08 09:22 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: theatrekid]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I found both these series absolutely riveting.

Peirs Anthony - the Apprentice adept series
http://www.piers-anthony.com/apprenticeadept.html

Piers Anthony - Incarnations of immortality
http://www.piers-anthony.com/incarnations.html

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#207427 - 02/25/08 09:58 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: GateKPR4]
Thomas J Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
id stand n line from now till christmas to see the new harry potters i really like harry potter ive all his books and all the harry potter movies that are already out. tj

#207438 - 02/25/08 10:51 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: Thomas J]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ricky I will look into them i'm always searching for a new book to read \:\)

Thomas when the last movie came out me and a group of friends waited in line for like 3 hours to be first into the theater... it was alot of fun.

#207687 - 02/27/08 04:39 AM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: theatrekid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted By: theatrekid
Thomas when the last movie came out me and a group of friends waited in line for like 3 hours to be first into the theater... it was alot of fun.

I remember doing that kind of thing too. My friends and I would wait outside the door for hours getting all psyched up over a movie or rock concert we wanted to see. The concerts were the most fun of all. Sometimes we didn't have tickets, so we would hang around side entrances and service doors waiting for some rent-a-cop or janitor to feel sorry for us. They always did! \:D

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#209021 - 03/05/08 07:20 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: roadrunner]
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
Sniff, sniff, do I smell Science fiction! How about some totally legal, totally free books! Ok here we go, first go over to Baen Free Library This is the start of Jim Baen's experiment of giving away the first of a series of books, so you would be come hooked on them and buy the rest of the series. There are a lot of good books in here.

Now that I have your attention, come on over to baencd. Jim Baen did another crazy thing, at the end of a series, in the last hard back book he started putting CD's with all the series on it, and he had the gall to say that you can copy and give the cd to anyone you want for free, no strings attached! when you click on a link, you can ether download the whole CD, or each book! Hot damn that just about covers all the Baen Books, super star writers. For the last ten years or so. Unfortunately Jim Baen has passed away, and so far the new editor has not continued the practice so far.
How about some of us older guys who cut our teeth on books from the golden years of scifi? Yep I got some free stuff for you also. Go on over to Project Gutenberg collection at Project Gutenberg you can find any book that is in the public domain. But being that I am a die hard scifi fan lets go to the Science Fiction (Bookshelf) Here you can find books from the grand old masters of Science Fictions. When they extended the copyright laws to 75 years after the death of the Arthur I thought that all was lost for a while. But the people at Gutenberg found a legal loop hole, some of the old great scifi magazines the copyrights were not renewed, which means that all of the short story's and books that came is three or more parts are in the public domain! So Gutenberg is wiping them out. one of my long time favorite authors is H. Beam Piper, You can read his "Little Fuzzy" and fall for them all over again, I also like his "The Cosmic Computer".
So take care, and have fun reading!
Clifford

#214407 - 03/31/08 03:27 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: lostcowboy]
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
If you have a interest in old movies. Feature Films

Take care,
Clifford

#370962 - 09/24/11 07:21 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: lostcowboy]
Drop Offline

Try the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series and The Godspeaker trilogy, both by Karen Miller. Those are in my top ten for sure.
Phantom of the Opera by Susan Ray is good too.

Watch me burn, watch me burn

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.