Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
4 registered (susie, Jim1961, JHNebraska, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64193 Topics
447965 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202193 - 01/28/08 11:58 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: theatrekid]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I felt that way about the "Amber" series by Roger Zelazny. In a way it kind of ruined Sci-fi/fantasy books for me because after reading every Zelazny book he wrote or co-wrote, every other Sci-fi/fantasy book i read, i would say to myself "Not bad, but it wasn't Roger Zelazny.

He just does such a great job of painting everything so vividly without interrupting the flow of the story with long de>

#202194 - 01/29/08 12:02 AM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: blueshift]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
i will check it out thanks!

#202199 - 01/29/08 12:17 AM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: theatrekid]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
You asked for a good book so here's my recommendation. I really liked a book called "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtney(I think that's how you spell his name). It really worked my emotions. It has a rough start where the main character goes through so much as a kid but it grows to being a story I think most of us can relate to. If you can read it and not get too upset I'd say it's the best.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#202212 - 01/29/08 02:08 AM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: usmc97]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I think i got about halfway through that book. It was good. I wish i had finished it. I may have chickened out though, caus it was kind of hard emotionally, as i remember. Maybe i'll take it back up some time when i feel ready.

#202454 - 01/29/08 11:29 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: blueshift]
cpt. confusion Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: midwest
I havent read any of the Harry Potter books, but I'd really like to. My T actually once made mention of Harry potter's character and a recovering alcoholic, and drew similarities there. Books are great that way because they are all interpreted int he eye of the beholder...

AS far as a recommendation, I used to love reading a fantasy type series of books by an author named Brian Jacques when I was younger. The first one he wrote was called Redwall, then there was a prequel, I believe called Mossflower, and a sequel also released. I'm not positive how many books there are in the series in total, but I loved them. The characters were all actually animals living in a forest, and also in a castle, there was a whole kindgom... There were wars between them, and a lot of adventure... these books helped me escape to a different world a lot when I was younger. Good stuff!

*WoR Alum
Sequoia I-March '11
Alta II, September '11

#202469 - 01/30/08 12:00 AM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: cpt. confusion]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

cpt confusion i read those when i was younger i enjoyed them quite a bit.

#202571 - 01/30/08 12:20 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: theatrekid]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I'm reading a spin-off Line from his main series by R.A. Salvatore. One of his most memerable characters (other than Drizzt Do'Urden) is Artemis Entreri. His new "The Sellswords" series follows Artemis and Jarlaxle (A dark Elf). In all the books Artemis was always cold, cunning, driven, and angry. In the latest book, you get details as to why. In the end he returns home and takes revenge on his Uncle, and some other nasty characters form his past, and then cleans house of the local apostate church that victimizes anyone and everyone for their own gain. Hit me hard as Artemis began reliving events from his past. I highly recommend it.

It is book 3 in the series that really deals with these issues:
http://www.amazon.com/Road-Patriarch-For...01713470&sr=8-3

I've ready everything in this long series (starts with the Dark Elf Trilogy). Fantastic works if you like Fantasy.

#202590 - 01/30/08 01:30 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: JustScott]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Believe it or not, I have never read a single one of the Harry Potter books - just never got around to them I guess. But now with retirement sneaking up on me I may make the time and curl up with them, one after the other. \:\)

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#205981 - 02/18/08 11:15 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: MemoryVault]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: MemoryVault
You might try Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

Memory i just finished the Amber Spyglass it was a great series equal to the harry potter series the ending was gut wrenching though very sad.

#206217 - 02/19/08 06:33 PM Re: Harry Potter is a Abuse Survivor [Re: theatrekid]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Cool, Christopher--

Yeah, it was really sad, but the best fantasy series do seem to have tragic or at least poignant endings.

Pullman may be writing another series, I've heard. There's a very short story in a mini-volume called "Lyra's Oxford" with a couple of maps and documents you might want to check out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.