Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
4 registered (hike1972, VASurvivor, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443361 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#201318 - 01/25/08 12:49 PM GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating
Danbuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY state
This is something I recently discovered quite by chance. It is a major threat worldwide. It is in our food supply and has been for about 30 years in foods we consume daily. Especially in snack foods and even vegetables.

I am posting a link to a 53 minute documentary that will likely draw you into watching it completely. This is an example of science gone wrong and has numerous implications about big business and corporate influence in policy. I could comment further but will wait to hear reactions. I encourage you to look at this issue and perhaps spread the message. It is very alarming. Here is the link.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=GMO&hl=en&sitesearch
It is the FIRST VIDEO Poison or Panacea
Dan

Edited by Danbuff (01/27/08 06:37 PM)

#201327 - 01/25/08 01:38 PM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating [Re: Danbuff]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but here are my thoughts:
A lack of genetic diversity in the food crops could prove dangerous; simple organisms adapt and evolve much more quickly than complex ones do. I seem to remember the Great Potato Famine having genetic homogeneity as a strong factor in the scope of the tragedy. Even if there are no other motivations in gentically modifying foods other than to simply provide hardier, disease-resistant food crops, won't a pest or disease eventually evolve that will prefer the genetic profile of the engineered species? I'm reminded of antibiotic-resistant staph infections, as well as Deinococcus Radiodurans, and the fungi found thriving inside the shroud at Chernobyl.
All that being said, aside from some sudden dramatic drop in birthrate, average lifespan, and present world population, just how are we supposed to feed everyone? Were the world's agriculture to become completely organic in nature starting tomorrow, only about 2/3 of the world's population could be supported- and that's factoring in conversion of grain for animal feed purposes to human food, conversion of grazing land to cropland, etc.
I guess my final take on it is "Damned if we do, damned if we don't"...

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#201332 - 01/25/08 02:46 PM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating [Re: dgoods]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Practically speaking, unless the genetic modification causes the plant to produce a toxin, there's no reason why a genetically-modified ear of corn (for instance) would be "more dangerous" to humans than any other ear of corn. It seems to me that opponents of genetically-modified crops don't have so much of a problem with the actual crops themselves, so much as the mere fact that they're genetically-modified.

A similar issue would be the fuss over using products from cloned animals - for instance, milk from cloned cows. Everybody knows that a cloned animal is identical to its host; there's nothing "extra" in the clone simply by virtue of the fact that it's a clone. Common sense dictates that there's nothing "different" about the milk from a cloned cow versus the milk of the original cow. Yet many people are against the selling of milk from cloned cows - not because there's anything wrong with the milk, but rather because they don't cloning.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#201333 - 01/25/08 02:50 PM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating [Re: melliferal]
duncanUK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think they are afraid of "gene" jumping. Imagine having a crop resistant to herbicides, you could then spray the field to kill the weeds but not harm the crop. Now imagine that gene "jumping" to the weeds. Now you have super weeds that are also resistant.

I think we should leave nature alone. What works in the lab does not always go right in natures own laboratory.

corrected my spelling

Edited by duncanUK (01/25/08 05:42 PM)

#201342 - 01/25/08 03:53 PM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating [Re: duncanUK]
Danbuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Have any of you bothered to view the entire video or at least part of it? To suggest or imply that this process is somehow okay entirely misses the point as well as the evidence and reasoning that there is potentially unforseeable harm that is not reversible. The evidence so far indicates the genetically altered seeds are spreading to organic crops deeming them inorganic. To say as mellifereal states that people don't have a problem with the actual crops themselves, so much as that the mere fact that they're genetically modified indicates you did not look at the data in the video.

Europeans care and they are banning genetically manufactured corn and soy beans as well as food produced from them. These are the Chemical companies that make insecticides that harm wildlife and humans. There is no testing done and they are being used in agriculture production. Did you ever hear of Agent Orange? a Chemical defoliant that causes birth defects and cancers and now is banned. This is dangerous science and that is why Europeans have taken such a strong stand against the products with unknown research in how it affects humans. Science already knows it kills the monarch butterfly and who knows what other species will be impacted to upset the natural eco-balance?

As Duncan states, they are afraid of gene jumping...YES it has already occurred thus destroying organic farming. Cows have been given antibiotics for decades and is a link to such large children and why girls develope breasts at age 8 and begin menstruation cycles early as well. What we don't yet know is what other effects lie ahead.

The plants that are being genetically altered have not been researched to show evidence of what the long term effects are. Since we have been eating so many products unknowingly affected for 30 years that were created from genetic engineering, it is a reasonable question to ask if it has any linkage to the astronomical rates of Autism, ADHD or countless other conditions that are mysteriously appearing throughout the population with little explanation. They do know it is unprecedented to see all the cancers we see that were in the past not seen. Better diagnostics may not be the reason for detection...not necessarily. So to dismiss this as progress and fear seems as silly as saying all the pollution will get purified naturally because nature will adjust. This has potential to threaten food saftey and the health of the world in the name of science and big business.

Nature has been adjusting and creating new species on its own or through simple old-fashioned farming practices that have served us well since time began. This is big business at work here creating monopolies on farming, agriculture and pricing. It is all in the documentary guys....have a look.

With all due respect, have a look first and then decide how you feel.
Peace,
Dan

Edited by Danbuff (01/25/08 03:57 PM)

#201801 - 01/27/08 06:06 PM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating [Re: Danbuff]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Which video in particular would you recommend that we watch Dan? The very top one?

#201808 - 01/27/08 06:35 PM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating [Re: Hauser]
Danbuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser,
Yes it is the very first one that says Poison or Panecea.. Good question. My goof.:)
Dan

#201815 - 01/27/08 06:48 PM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating [Re: Danbuff]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I will watch it.

#201971 - 01/28/08 06:12 AM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eating [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I'll just jump in here to confirm what Dan says about the cautious attitude that prevails in Europe. The EU in particular isn't buying the argument that lack of proof of harm means that a certain procedure or product is safe. They see right through that to the real issue: the megabucks to be earned in the export of foodstuffs.

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#202393 - 01/29/08 08:21 PM Re: GMO Genetically Modified Organisms You are eat [Re: roadrunner]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I watched it.

I first heard John Hagelin back in 1996 when he ran for President as a Natural Law Party Candidate. Pretty smart guy.

I always buy organic when it's available. The FDA is a joke. How much you want to bet that the officials at the FDA are on the take?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.