Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluestar7 (45), ferdie1949 (65), jonathan (57), LovingFriend (27), tjp42588 (26)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62566 Topics
438391 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#199910 - 01/17/08 09:35 AM Family Guy Episode... might trigger
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
If any of you guys watch Family Guy, there was an episode Tuesday night that sort of triggered me a little. I'll describe it.

Stewie, the young one with the football-shaped head, met his future self who had traveled 30 years back in time for a vacaction. The toddler Stewie was completely dumbfounded as to why he had not turned into someone great and powerful. Instead, he was sort of a nobody, had never managed to have sex in his whole life, had a dead end job receiving low pay, and was timid about doing anything with his life. As they interacted, he realized that he had been traumatized by a "near death experience", involving a lifeguard chair falling over and almost crushing him. He realized that this trauma caused him to be afraid to take risks in life, and that was what caused him to be relatively unsuccessful.

This hit very close to home for me, and I have been thinking about that and feeling it pretty deeply. I identify with that in a very powerful way. I have always felt that something like that was happening with me, since my current salary and career status is about half of what it should be, considering I have a degree in chemical engineering.

I realize it is just a cartoon and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I thought it needed to be brought here for some discussion. I am deeply saddened by this idea.

Craig

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#199920 - 01/17/08 11:35 AM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: cbfull]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Craig,

I'll tell you what, for "just a cartoon" they sure make it a point to push people's buttons. I've seen this show and noted the gender rejection of daughter Meg, among other things, and think 'ya know, even this goofy show reflects some of life's legitimate issues.' I use this example because my mother was the same way, only reverse the genders. She wanted all girls.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#199922 - 01/17/08 11:52 AM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: FormerTexan]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Why does the source being a cartoon matter at all? Issues can be illustrated and amplified by text, voice, graphic art, music etc. This pushed very ligitimate buttons with you. I find the writers of Family Guy to be very bright and bold as all hell. There are no sacred cows with that group.

Yeah....I can see that as a disturbing episode.

Still's Globs

New Video

#199928 - 01/17/08 12:12 PM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: Still]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks you guys. I guess I was certain that after posting this everyone was going to tell me that it's just a cartoon so don't read into it too much.

I agree, those guys are very cerebral and shockingly accurate, and it doesn't matter if it's a cartoon. Real people think this stuff up, it is intended to reflect real life.

I'm still processing what this means to me and my life. It doesn't help much either when people say things like, "You are so smart and wise, you should be working at [so and so] company doing and getting paid way more than you are now."

#199939 - 01/17/08 12:32 PM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: cbfull]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: cbfull
It doesn't help much either when people say things like, "... you should be working at [so and so] company doing and getting paid way more than you are now."

I hear that all the time too...Mostly from ME.

Still's Globs

New Video

#199999 - 01/17/08 08:02 PM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: cbfull]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I watched a few family guy shows and I have to say it sets off all sorts of triggers with me. I don't watch it anymore.
I have an easier time watching south park or Drawn together.
Some of the sexual stuff on family guy is just too much for me.

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#200031 - 01/18/08 12:02 AM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: GateKPR4]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Art imitates life, and sitcoms, both animated and those using real actors, are artistic in their very nature. Writers spend their lives thinking up situations that point out the weird, the unexpected and the fantastic, by mimicing real life.

Of course, they try to push our buttons. It's fairly common for me to quit watching this show or that because the buttons they push are to close to home, to sensitive, to triggering for me. Fortunately, with television, we have the choice of changing the channel at any time.

If only real life were so simple. When I can't 'change the channel' my life is on, I have a habit of withdrawing into my own little world, which means that I am not as functional, creative, agressive or successful as I am otherwise. Sometimes it can last for days, weeks or even months, and I have lost or given up several very lucrative positions because of this. I quite my last 'real' job, making 6 figures, because I was triggered when my 'big boss' humiliated a dozen or so of my employees. Actually it pissed me off too, and I had the pleasure of telling him to fuck himself before I quit. I hope I managed to save most of those guys their jobs though.

Anyway, my point is that the symptoms of PTSD are very much the same no matter what your trauma was. In another thread, someone was debating whether it was worst to be abused by a man vs. a woman. In yet another, someone said he wasn't sure what happened to him was really abuse because it seemed so much less than some other people's stories. I say they are arguing a moot point; trauma is trauma, and it is all in the eyes of the victim. If you feel you have been abused, then you HAVE been abused. The who's, why's and where's are almost irrelevant.

I don't mean to minimize anybody's personal story. We all have different histories, but we have the same thing in common; we have been damaged by our experience. That's the important thing, and that's the frame of reference we all speak from. To say, "Mine was worse than yours" is defeating the whole purpose, which is, of course, recovery.

So Craig, I say to you; Don't be surprised where you find triggers. Once you recognize them for what they are, you can put them in their proper perspective, and that's what healing is all about.

That's my rant. Thanks for listening!

Lazarus

#201232 - 01/25/08 12:19 AM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: Lazarus]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Tonight there was an episode on where the older son was stationed in a South American village and wearing only like a skimpy grass skirt.

He said "this is just like bible camp...except I'm not crying and pretending I'm somewhere else."

I think I'll just avoid this show from now on thank you very much.

Still's Globs

New Video

#201272 - 01/25/08 07:38 AM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: Still]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments guys. I started seeing a T last month, and then sort of put off making a second appointment, which he was very understanding of.

I went for my second appt yesterday, and told him about the cartoon, and how it made me start to feel very sort of melancholy and reflective for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't call it a "depression" per se, but more of a personal retreat to put my terrific difficulty with focus and achievement into perspective as much as possible. I guess I was forgiving myself for being too hard on myself about where I am with my career.

I got another thing out of this too. I think for the first time, I actually felt anger towards my abuser. It felt good.

Craig

#201273 - 01/25/08 07:39 AM Re: Family Guy Episode... might trigger [Re: Still]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Oh, I know, Rob.

They go out of their way to push people's buttons. Undoubtedly the writers thought that comment was funny. I gave up on FG and several others a long time ago. They just don'e seem funny at all...

Ric

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.