Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
1 registered (Obi), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442062 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#200711 - 01/22/08 09:07 AM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: MarkK]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
Mark:

All I can say is "You are not alone"

I am sorry we all have to go through this

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#200712 - 01/22/08 09:18 AM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: KENKEN]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
haah much better than being in the closet

#200717 - 01/22/08 10:03 AM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: PeaceSeeker]
NoOneImportant Offline

That's me to a T. I'm ok until I'm alone. The all those things you mentioned come out and I can't hold back the tide. I'm going to have to figure a way to reach out. I don't know, there are just times for me that I feel I just need to be alone. If I go to long without alone time I start feeling overwhelmed and get extremely irritable and cranky. Maybe once I get some help things will get better.

Thanks for posting, so many people have given me so much insight into myself. Some things are heard to realize.

#200719 - 01/22/08 10:30 AM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: NoOneImportant]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Exactly. When i'm alone. And i have three months of business travel coming up where i'll be alone in a hotel room four nights a week.

i don't want to do the travel. yet at the same time i do - and that bothers me as well...

M

#200739 - 01/22/08 12:50 PM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: MarkK]
PeaceSeeker Offline
New Here

I think it's ok to be alone sometimes...it's the difference between solitude and isolation.

Solitude is a good thing...meditation, relaxation, reflection, etc., are to me healthy forms of being alone. Solitude is being alone without being lonely, and feeling serenity and at peace with yourself and the world. Solitude is one of the wonderful benefits of recovery and healing. It's choosing to be alone, and being ok with it. Everyone needs rejuvenation from the trials of life.

But isolation is more of a reaction...it is purposefully being alone in order to escape being with others. It is avoiding recovery and going right back to the place where self-destructive behavior is possible. It's the old way.

Sometimes the line can be muddled with me...I have to watch out for isolation masking as solitude. It helps me to realize that we deserve to reach out to others without feeling fear, guilt, or shame, just as we deserve to enjoy solitude without feeling fear, guilt, or shame.

Edited by PeaceSeeker (01/22/08 12:52 PM)

#200758 - 01/22/08 05:03 PM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: PeaceSeeker]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

i think i follow what you're saying - but for me - to be alone will bring on isolation faster than almost anything. i do not do well alone. Meditation, relaxation, reflection, prayer - all of these are good alone - but for a short period. At least for me.

Possibly if i accepted your statement about deserving - maybe then being alone wouldn't be such a trigger.

But for now, being alone can in fact trigger me. Especially if i think about being alone, which i typically do when i am stuck in a hotel somewhere.

Guess i paint myself into a corner and then panic. i'm working on it - i'm getting better, stronger... Importantly - the day of extreme "cravings" has come and gone - and the feelings have subsided greatly. So, at least until my next trip i'm doin ok ... sorta ... kinda ...

#200872 - 01/23/08 09:52 AM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: MarkK]
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona
Campral - for alcohol cravings ....

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#201041 - 01/24/08 03:54 AM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: MarkK]
Eric5 Offline
New Here

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Envy all of you capable of fighting urges, but in a good way of course. I got work to do in that department so its nice to see it can be achieved.

#201086 - 01/24/08 10:47 AM Re: dealing with cravings [Re: Eric5]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

don't envy me much - i beat tobacco and pot - but that's about it. the rest is still VERY MUCH a daily fight.

aahhh... more like hourly.

ok - minute by minute.

seconds?

M

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.