Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (JW1230, Doubter, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443955 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#200742 - 01/22/08 01:14 PM Re: Are violent shows/movies common to all survivors? [Re: awakening]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Hi BH,

I think what you can tolerate/enjoy on TV or in movies is so very personal. Both my b/f and I hate the blood and guts horror flicks, but enjoy a good suspensefull story any day, even if murder and mayhem are involved. We always watch Forensic Files, but pass on some of the more intense SVU episodes. I can't stand watching personal conflicts that I know are real (political shows) but if he's watching a boxing match I'll sit through it, although begrudingly.

I don't know that the violence itself is the issue. I know with my b/f, if we're watching a movie where people have to get themselves out of a bad situation, he tries to figure out how before it's shown on screen. This is an excercise for him and very triggering. He had a bad time when we watched "Vacancy" but I didn't know it until the movie was over 'cause my head was under the blanket most of the time.

ROCK ON...........Trish

#200807 - 01/23/08 12:00 AM Re: Are violent shows/movies common to all survivors? [Re: awakening]
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
Wow, thanks for all the input! I guess it could be common to some guys, as well as possibly make a survivor think, "Well, at least someone had it worse than me" when he sees a truly horrific movie. It could be kind of cathartic (sp.?) in that way.

I know that I have read some true crime in my day, but I always needed a breather after a while and needed something more upbeat and light. Needed to take a break from it now and then.

I know when I read other books, I usually migrate to ones that are interesting to me because of the author having similar views as me, or similar experiences, or someone I feel I can identify with. "We read to know we're not alone" is a quote that comes to mind here. So maybe, just maybe, sometimes my H feels less alone if he is watching something horrific happening to someone else.....or maybe the movie just expresses his anger for him so he can leave HIS stuffed way down... Or maybe he gets to revel in wishful thinking if the hurting character is getting well-deserved revenge.

All of you have given me some food for thought, so thanks.

Edited by Brokenhearted (01/23/08 12:03 AM)

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.