Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63228 Topics
442152 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#200199 - 01/19/08 10:12 AM Male teacher gets prison... Trigger
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Ex-Alvin ISD teacher gets prison for sex with 7th-grader

ANGLETON A former junior high school teacher has been sentenced to 12 years in prison after admitting that he had a sexual relationship with a male seventh-grader.

Brian Edward Cody, 31, of Port Lavaca, was a social studies teacher at Manvel Junior High School until he was fired in the wake of his charges. He pleaded guilty Thursday to aggravated sexual assault of a child and improper educator-student contact.

The alleged victim was a seventh-grade student at the school and a plea bargain spared the child from having to testify, Brazoria County District Attorney Jeri Yenne said.

"We consulted with the victims and they were comfortable with the resolution," Yenne said.

Cody's attorney, David Cunningham of Houston, did not return calls to his office or cell phone Thursday afternoon, The Facts newspaper of Clute reported in today's editions.

The school is 20 miles south of Houston in the Alvin Independent School District. According to court documents, the two charges stem from a Nov. 16, 2006, incident involving a sex act with a male student younger than 14. District spokeswoman Shirley Brothers has said that district officials learned from the boy's parents that Cody was having an improper relationship with their son.

Aggravated sexual assault of a child carries a possible prison sentence of five years to life and a $10,000 fine, while improper educator-student relationship is punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5466013.html

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#200226 - 01/19/08 02:09 PM Re: Male teacher gets prison... Trigger [Re: FormerTexan]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I blame the perp/teacher for this first and foremost, BUT..........

I ALSO blame the parents for having OBVIOUSLY FAILED to impart the necessary knowledge and self-assertiveness that children need to avoid getting in these situations in the first place.

Parents DO NOT have the right to just assume that adults won't make sexual advances and their children, do think otherwise is tantamount to outright neglect.

This boy should have been told what to do if something like this ever happened. It would have saved ME, and it would have saved HIM.

#200232 - 01/19/08 02:44 PM Re: Male teacher gets prison... Trigger [Re: Hauser]
GeorgeMartin Offline

Loc: USA
"Ignorance is bliss" as they say, to any parent to think their child or children will possibly never be harmed by adults. But what does one do when the harmful person is within the home and you have to go home every day to the offender(s)?

I am glad the S.O.B. did get caught by the judiciary. Atleast there was some responsibility and accountability given. There never was neither in my situation sadly said.

#200441 - 01/20/08 09:15 PM Re: Male teacher gets prison... Trigger [Re: GeorgeMartin]
Paul1959 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
My parents told me. It didn't help. Perps are too good at what they do.

#200916 - 01/23/08 02:07 PM Re: Male teacher gets prison... Trigger [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Alan,

Originally Posted By: Hauser
Parents DO NOT have the right to just assume that adults won't make sexual advances and their children, do think otherwise is tantamount to outright neglect.

This boy should have been told what to do if something like this ever happened. It would have saved ME, and it would have saved HIM.

I would have to say that even if I had been warned by my parents that even people I know could be dangerous, this would not have saved me. It happened too fast, he was too slick and too reassuring. I was like the proverbial deer in the headlights: I froze, I felt scared and mixed up, but I did what I was told.

Part of being groomed is that you are set up so you don't even see it coming, or if you do, you can't do anything about it.

But yes, cases like this show that there is need for a lot more vigilance and public awareness.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.