Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63433 Topics
443434 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200028 - 01/17/08 11:38 PM Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
All right, I know Dr. Laura's horribly, and sometimes viciously, wrong. I do not in anyway condone the overly conservative morality she professes and counsels on her radio show and in most of her books. (For the record, I'm actually a huge fan of Dr. Joy Browne and have found her program extremely helpful over the past two years, I do not listen to Dr. Laura at all). But I have to say, I'm finding this particular book very interesting, and dare I say it... illuminating.

There is a core thesis here that I think makes sense, although I think it's really important to be careful in how you express it. Healing here isn't simply about letting go of the past (as a lot of people I think misstate or misunderstand the goal of healing to be). It's about finding ways to move towards focussing more and more on living in the present moment, not at the expense of dismissing, ignoring, giving up on, or forgetting the past. The challenge is instead finding ways to accept that bad things happened, that we were not in control and not to blame, but that, ultimately, we have to take the responsibility on our shoulders to find a way out of the dark places other people shoved us into.

In any event, I'm surprised to find myself really feeling challenged and moved by this book and the ideas Dr. Laura uses. I will not let her off the hook for many of her more offensive and blatantly inflammatory statements (with regards to homosexual behavior for instance). But I see no reason to dismiss a god idea, or even a good book when it comes from even a poisoned pen.

I'm curious if anyone else has read the book, and if so what their feelings are on it.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#200029 - 01/17/08 11:41 PM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: tartugas]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
i can't read anything written by a fake like "Doctor" Laura.

sorry - she set me off a long time ago - i discounted her the minute i saw her for the fake she is

m

#200030 - 01/17/08 11:53 PM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: MarkK]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Actually, I have read the book and it helped me a lot. The concept I guess was just at the right time for me to hear it. Afew years earlier I would not have listened. But truth is truth, even is presented by a liar. It just loses some credibility. It you don't mind wading through that I think there is value there.

Lets face it at that point I was desperate and I liked the title.

Roger

#200032 - 01/18/08 12:18 AM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: Freedom49]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
I was fascinated by her the first time I heard her, but soon saw through the schtick. She a bit of a bully with a penchant for preaching to people. I have to admit, I'm stunned to discover that the content and the tone of this book are refreshingly free of all the stupid, live by the ten commandments, fundamentalism that she breathes into her show. I think that's why I put this up, I just needed to see if I'm just drinking kool aid or if there is something positive here.

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#200859 - 01/23/08 08:11 AM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: tartugas]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Chris,

I haven't seen the book, but from what you say it sounds interesting, though I too have little time for "Dr Laura" and her various hypocrisies.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#203764 - 02/05/08 08:46 PM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: roadrunner]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I'm about to google Dr. Laura i have never heard of her but i dont think i will like her.

#203765 - 02/05/08 08:52 PM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: theatrekid]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

yeah i just went to her homepage and she has a link to get a at home drug test for you kids for "when they need you most" lol kinda funny if the kid is into drugs the at home drug kit isnt going to fix the problem. I have a theory its for uber controlling manipulating parents who like to keep total control not for the responsible loving smart parent.

#203774 - 02/05/08 09:28 PM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: theatrekid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Christopher,

Kind of reminds me of my own mom, bless her heart. I came home after work one summer and the whole house stunk of weed! I thought OMG Cathie (my sister) is partying too hard, but then I walked into the kitchen and there stands my Mom. I had the forethought to ask her what that weird smell was, and she said she had just heard on the TV that if you want to know if your kids have drug problems, just burn oregano on the stove.

That must be how I kicked hard drugs. My Mom burned oregano for me!!! \:D I must thank her when I see her again in March.

Much smoldering,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#203780 - 02/05/08 11:28 PM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: roadrunner]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
http://www.wjr.com/programming.asp

You can listen to her for free weekdays 10pm - 1am EST.

I have much respect for some of her opinions, if not most.

What I like MOST about her approach to relationships is that marriage should be taken WAY more seriously. She berates (in a nice way) people that get divorced because "they're not happy anymore" or some other frivolous reason like that.

She is the only talk show host that I know of that speaks of how vulnerable we make our children when we don't spend time with them, listen, or pay attention to them. She berates parents that think it's ok to have "split custody". (children staying at one parent's place one week, only to move to the other parent's place the following week, etc)

I've heard her on many occasions asking parents what their children, and yes, their sons, were doing at that very moment. Often times, the parents couldn't answer WHAT their children were doing or whom they were with.

Yes, she is judgmental, but she's heard a lot of poor excuses for parents and marriage partners out there. She's worth listening to a couple times just to hear a different point of view about life and relationships.

No, I'm not a regular listener, but I used to be when I was living in Detroit.

#203798 - 02/06/08 01:44 AM Re: Bad Childhood -- Good Life, Dr. Laura [Re: Hauser]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry thats to funny \:\)

Hauser i think the problems with marriage that have developed over the last 25 years are a negative side effect of a very positive thing. And that is women entering the work force and being treated as equals. I think since women are no longer dependent on a man they are less likely to stay in a crappy situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.