Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
3 registered (Itchy Feet, Still, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64154 Topics
447644 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#199427 - 01/14/08 11:29 AM Advice about EMDR requested
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I'm going to do my first session, at the behest of my T, this Thursday.

Would any of you care to impart any advice?

Let me add that he told me that the main reason that he wants to do this is to prepare me for a confrontation with my family which is soon to come. He wants to make sure that my emotions and issues are as transparent to him as possible before we make such an action, and that my motives are worth-while, not self-defeating or harmful.

#199502 - 01/14/08 10:09 PM Re: Advice about EMDR requested [Re: Hauser]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I did some EMDR work a little while back and found it helpful. I probably should have continued and maybe will pick it up again, but I think the work I did with it was positive.

I think the biggest thing for me is that it helped loosen up some memories. I am not sure how (actually I sort of understand the scientific basis, and it makes sense), but it really seemed to allow me to access some deeper memories. I was skeptical often, but even on days when I figured it was a waste of time I actually seemed to get something out of it.

I don't know that it is a panacea (but what is?), but I think it did help me in some of the progress I have been making with things. I had what I considered to be some pstd and also body-trauma issues that it helped, though it doesn't make everything just go away.

Let me know you have any other specific questions. My biggest recommendation would just be to approach it with an open mind and really just relax and go with the process.

By the way, the stimulus that was used on me was buzzing/vibrating 'pods' that I held in each hand (and they vibrated back and forth between each hand), not anything with the eyes. I think the main idea is to alternatively stimulate both hemispheres of the brain while focusing on certain issues and sort of letting your mind wander and see where it takes you. The stimulating of each brain hemisphere back and forth is supposed to help facilitate cross-hemisphere brain communication that trauma can block. That is my interpretation at least.

Again, let me know if you have any other questions

Edited by ericc (01/14/08 10:10 PM)

#199526 - 01/15/08 02:25 AM Re: Advice about EMDR requested [Re: ericc]
weapher Offline

Loc: Oregon
I am with a T that does the emdr as well and am probably going to begin the process soon... keep us informed of your progress.

weapher

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.