Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64156 Topics
447663 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199290 - 01/13/08 11:13 AM MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers""""
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
My T last Monday suggested that I watch the movie above, Antwone Fisher, with Denzel Washington. I was asked by my T to write my feelings and emotions down while watching the movie.

I am presently writing a letter to my Perp. and working on confronting him, my brother, in the near future.

We, my GF, and I watched the movie last night. It deals with a survivor of CSA, verbal abuse and physical abuse, who through therapy while a marine does confronts his abusers.

I can only say for myself that the movie was awesome. The outcome is so powerful and has given me more power and courage that I too can confront my brother. Whatever his response back to me is, I feel I am getting the desire to confront.

I just believe that the movie is very powerful, positive and proves that no matter how bad someone tries to destroy us, we have the power to overcome.

If anyone has watched this movie or does watch it, I would greatly appreciate your feelings and thoughts.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#199294 - 01/13/08 12:04 PM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: KENKEN]
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Ken,

I remember watching this movie. And it really hit home for me as well. When he was on that porch confronting his abusers I just cried. And like you it gave me hope, I mean I know it was just a movie but it does show that it is possible to move forward from this. He battled for everything all his life, but he never stopped no matter how bad it got for him.

Thanks for helping me remember this one. I'll have to go rent and watch it again.

Thanks
James

#199327 - 01/13/08 05:59 PM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: James_dup1]
Lou Offline

It may be just a movie, but it was inspired by the true life experiences of its title character....an awesome inspiring movie as to how he was able to take so many negative things in his life and turn them into something positive. God! I wish Denzel Washington was my therapist! He just got down to brass tacks as they say! Awesome!

#199340 - 01/13/08 08:57 PM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: Lou]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
as you can tell from my signature line - this is a very important movie to me - I own the movie - it's one of the first I can remember ever watching that deal directly and accurately with abuse

Please everyone - remember - the abusers tried to destroy us - they failed!!! - we are indeed so much stronger than them

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#199342 - 01/13/08 09:09 PM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: TJ jeff]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I saw it. Great movie it was, especially since it had also shown how the CSA that happened in the movie, intertwines into the fabric of his life as he grew older, which is something many or most films about sexual abuse fail to convincingly convey.

#200856 - 01/23/08 07:56 AM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: Hauser]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ken,

I thought it was an incredibly powerful film, and whatever criticisms we may have we should be grateful for any attention the issue of CSA can get that points out the depth of the problem.

One criticism I did have of this film was the way it presented the theme of therapy. Antwone learns to trust the psychiatrist, works through his issues, makes love to his girlfriend at last, and he seems to be all fixed up. But we all know it's not that simple.

Hollywood films - indie too - don't ever seem to get this right, at least not so far as I have seen. But like I said, it's great the issue of CSA gets the attention and Antwone Fisher does a great job in that department.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#200870 - 01/23/08 09:20 AM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: roadrunner]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry:

The movie was especially helpful to me because I am planning to confront my brother, my perp, in the very near future. The movie, Atwone, showed me that I need more strength and courage when I do confront. He handled it well, and I thought said the right words. I am sure in my state of mind, I would have either been crying or in a fit of rage.

Thanks for your words

Ken

#207763 - 02/27/08 01:16 PM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: KENKEN]
menspeakout Offline
New Here

You rarely see a movie as earnest and heartfelt about a man coming to terms with the dysfunction in his life. I too cried during many moments in this film, especially when he confronted his abusers. It was a titanic moment, and one that I too dream about having that for myself some day. I wish we all had that, being able to live without hiding from ourselves or others. Having the strength to find and confront our pasts.

I'm not sure that I have ever seen a scene like this, but the one where Denzel hugs Antwone and tells him simply "I love you." That was a moment I wouldn't expect to be repeated in a Hollywood movie but it was incredible, courageous, and almost too honest for film. Men are emotional beings who need love.

This is a great film!

Edited by menspeakout (02/27/08 01:20 PM)

#207799 - 02/27/08 04:46 PM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: menspeakout]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

The words TRUST and LOVE:

As this post comes up again and again, what comes to my mind so powerful is how Antwone and Denzel over time develop such great Trust and Love for each. I seem to not have the ability to Trust or Love like that. As soon as I feel someone is getting "close" to me, I immediately put up barriers. "They are after something" I get scared, either run away or hide, my issues or my feelings.

I know my T and my Group that I attend are there for me, but at times I feel I open up to them to much. They are looking or thinking to themselves that I am some quack/idiot. I am a nut case.

Thanks for bring up this post again.

Ken

#207823 - 02/27/08 06:33 PM Re: MOVIE: ANTWONE FISHER '''''Triggers"""" [Re: KENKEN]
marshmellow Offline
New Here

Yeah Antwone Fishers a great movie. Like you I feel it is very powerful which is why I still watch it when ever its on cable. Still get teary eyed every time too. What makes it even more powerful is its a true story. I'm pretty sure it was actually written by the real guy himself. My memory is a little cloudy though.LOL. Wish you the best with your letter and confronting your brother. Takes alot of courage man.

peace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.