Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (aniceguy, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445532 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#198801 - 01/09/08 01:51 PM Our Deepest Fear
JasonSmalls Offline

Loc: NJ
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” -- Marianne Williamson

#198818 - 01/09/08 05:01 PM Re: Our Deepest Fear *DELETED* [Re: JasonSmalls]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Post deleted by Freedom49

#198836 - 01/09/08 07:14 PM Re: Our Deepest Fear [Re: Freedom49]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Jason.

I appreciate the perspective of this quote, but I disagree. I'm NOT afraid to shine, I'm NOT afraid to 'be all that I can be'... I deserve to be brilliant, georgeous, talented, and (to coin an 'oh so gay' analogy,) Fabulous!

In fact, in some ways I AM those things. On the rare occasion when that happens, I am elated; I shine.

But Jason, my biggest fear is being found out for the fraud I am, especially when I'm brilliant, georgeous, talented... because I really don't FEEL that way. The observer must be mistaken, OR they must want something illicit from me.

So my biggest fear is not being exceptional, because I know that I AM exceptional. My biggest fear is that someone else will use my ego to seduce me for their own purposes.

Sorry if I rained on your parade. It IS a marvelous quote, but I just don't happen to agree with it.

Respectfully submitted,

Lazarus

#198837 - 01/09/08 07:22 PM Re: Our Deepest Fear [Re: Lazarus]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

Seems to me that being afraid that your ego will lead you astray is the same thing as being afraid of yourself. No?

#198842 - 01/09/08 07:41 PM Re: Our Deepest Fear [Re: testingWaters]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

You might say that, TW. There have been times when I have been VERY afraid of myself... or perhaps what I present as being myself, my ego.

Lazarus

#198886 - 01/10/08 03:01 AM Re: Our Deepest Fear [Re: Lazarus]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Joey,

That's a great quote, and while some time ago I would have hesitate to accept it as true, now I think it is. What I have found in my own recovery is that every resource I needed I already had. All I ever needed to do was learn how to accept, develop and trust the tools and strengths within me.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#198910 - 01/10/08 11:28 AM Re: Our Deepest Fear [Re: Lazarus]
DanM Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: So. California
Lazarus,

I also have the same feelings and fears about being considered a fraud. I have excelled in the past, yet I have this feeling that I am a fraud and it is very self-defeating. The feeling has been so pervasive that it has prevented me from reaching my potential.

I am surious what you are doing to address your feelings? Maybe I can learn from you or gain insight.

Jason,I also think it is a great quote. i am not sure if I totally agree with it.

Dan

#198920 - 01/10/08 01:06 PM Re: Our Deepest Fear [Re: DanM]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dan,

Rather than steal this thread, I'll PM you and we can discuss this.

Lazarus

#199114 - 01/11/08 09:52 PM Re: Our Deepest Fear [Re: Lazarus]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jason,

Thanks so much for that quote. Even if one were to remove the references to "God" it is still powerful.

While all of us may be in a different spot from one another on the spectrum of how we think of our own worth, I dare say we've all struggled with that at some point, now or in the past. This quote is a very good reminder that we do indeed have worth.

Thanks,

John

#199204 - 01/12/08 02:26 PM Re: Our Deepest Fear [Re: WalkingSouth]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Thanks Joey. It is a nice thing to hope for - and a good reason to continue recovery.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.