Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
4 registered (ethereo222, Jude, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63212 Topics
442012 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#199200 - 01/12/08 02:14 PM Does any one know what this is?
mvnforwrd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Someone told me about this therepy. I can not find any info about it so i will ask you all.My t said there is something simular using a light but not the fingers.

a therepist puts there both pointer fingers in front of your eyes and moves them around left to right. while doing this you are asked very simple questions. The therepy is supposed to help bring things forward so you can work on the darkest effects from the abuse.

Is there a name for this???

Thankyou mvn4wrd

#199231 - 01/12/08 08:35 PM Re: Does any one know what this is? [Re: mvnforwrd]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Sounds like EMDR: Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. If you search the forums, you'll find several discussion about it. I've had some very positive experiences with it with a number of different therapists. It somehow helped get me past mental blocks that I was stuck behind.

I've done it with the finger motion, lights that move back and forth, sounds that switch from one side to the other and with little buzzers, one in each hand... so there are lots of different methods, but they all see to get at the same mechanism: alternating stimulation does something to break thoughts loose.

Mike

#199247 - 01/12/08 09:50 PM Re: Does any one know what this is? [Re: mike5]
Danbuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY state
One note about EMDR therapy. While EMDR is very effective and reletively short in duration, it is not successful for people with multiple trauma exposures in a lifetime. It is not recommended with multiple traumas.

As in any theraputic relationship, it is recommended a client ask how experienced a thearpist is with that treatment modality. Only a qualified , well trained therapist , competant in his or her practice should be working with clients, especially trauma.

It is wise to know by asking directed questions before seeking a theraputic treatment.

I hope this helps.
Dan

#199512 - 01/14/08 11:41 PM Re: Does any one know what this is? [Re: Danbuff]
mvnforwrd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Thankyou guys spent most of last nite looking EMDR up online. I dont remeber the t mentioning EMDR allthough the last session was tough allot was said that i dont think I herd, but i will go this week somewhat prepared to ask questions. Thankyou guys MVN4WRD

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.