Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
4 registered (WriterKeith, don64, peroperic2009, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63184 Topics
441808 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#185873 - 10/09/07 01:15 PM anyone know about Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
honey girl Offline

Loc: Midwest US
Hi, everyone.
My BF is having huge problems; I'm not sure we're going to survive this round.
It has occurred to me that when he resumes therapy (he's been off of it for a few months--clearly not a good idea) he might want to try a different treatment modality. We haven't discussed this idea because he's taken off, so I have no clue about his point of view on this; I don't know really why he stopped going to his EMDR therapist. But I have been doing some very preliminary research, just in case he's inclined to take my advice into account.
Anyone who has had experience with this approach, for good or ill, I would like to know about it.
Thanks for sharing.
Peace,
HG

#185881 - 10/09/07 01:57 PM Re: anyone know about Dialectical Behavior Therapy? [Re: honey girl]
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Honey girl -

Being curious as I had never heard of this approach I did some reading and found the following link that might give you some good, basic information. Not first hand but the best I can do.

http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/dbt.html

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#185889 - 10/09/07 02:09 PM Re: anyone know about Dialectical Behavior Therapy? [Re: kellygtx]
honey girl Offline

Loc: Midwest US
That's a little different set of details than I have already seen, so thanks Kelly!
HG

#197985 - 01/05/08 12:04 AM Re: anyone know about Dialectical Behavior Therapy? [Re: honey girl]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Hi HG,

Survivor here... I read lots about DBT, talked to my therapist about it quite a bit, got the book, read it several times, looked into classes... It's got some helpful stuff in it for people who don't have skills regulating their emotions and acting out destructively as a result. at risk, i.e. suicidal, cutting, heavy chemical use, rageful outbursts, complete isolation.. I wasn't that bad I suppose but found it useful. It's kind of hard to "get it" because it's so ... simple, basic in how you work inside with yourself, so it's generally done as a class/group, with a 1-1 therapist too. Ask for more details...

Let's see. I thought the general treatment for trauma is:
1. Stabilization and a sense of safety.
2. THEN, the trauma work, like EMDR. Which is destablizing.
3. Integration and getting on with life stuff.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.