Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
6 registered (Jim1961, gettingstronger, MG5555, Greg56, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64200 Topics
448024 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197890 - 01/04/08 02:16 PM Jesus Christ
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Don't know if this should go in the "Spirituality" Forum or here, but I'll start here;

Did anybody see the show on the History Channel about the "Missing Gospel of Mark?" The subject of the show centered around newly discovered documents that seem to fill a noticeable hole in the Gospel of Mark.

These documents tell the story of a young man that Christ raised from the dead. Afterwards, this young man becaume obsessed with spending the night with Jesus. It says that on more than one occasion, the young man 'covered his naked body only with linen' and went to 'Be' with Jesus, and usually spent the night while Jesus taught him about the Kingdom of God. The young man's name was Lazarus. How curious is that?

The implication of the show was clearly that Jesus and Lazarus were lovers (or at least fuck-buddies) and that this information was intentionally cut from the gospel as Mark originally told it.

Just wondering who else might have seen this show and what you thought about it.

Ric
aka Lazarus

P.S. I did not pick the name Lazarus as my handle for any biblical reason. Lazarus Woodrow Wilson Libby Long Smith was a character in a series of science fiction novels by Robert Heinlein; he was 'The Man Who Could Never Die'.

P.P.S. I searched both Nistory.com and Discovery.com and couldn't find any direct links. On the History Channel, there was a series called "Banned from the Bible" but the de>

Edited by Lazarus (01/04/08 06:02 PM)

#197902 - 01/04/08 03:31 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: Lazarus]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Lazarus,

In the early 90s, I engaged in a personal study of apocrypha versus pseudopigrapha. I feel compelled to classify this latest "finding" with the fictional likes of the Da Vinci code. Even if this finding is an authentic writing from long ago, it may well belong among such pseudopigrapha as The Infancy Gospel of Thomas or The Acts of Peter.

There is also a strong possibility numerous people interjected other writings along the way to sabotage Paul and the other apostles' efforts. For example, many followed Paul from city to city to accusing him publicly of dissension and heresy, etc. Every attempt was made to smear his message. And if the message could not be stopped, go for the messenger.

Question: what language did they say this "missing" piece is written in?

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#197903 - 01/04/08 03:41 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: FormerTexan]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Seriously Andy, I couldn't tell you what language it was written in. I've been trying to find that episode again to review, but I can't seem to locate it. That's why I was wondering if anybody else had seen it.

The show certainly could have been pure sensationalism; I'd never quote the History Channel as 100% fact. It may have been as biased as anything else shown on television. I just thought it would be interesting if it were true.

And thanks for increasing my Word Power. I had never heard of the words 'apocrypha' or 'pseudopigrapha'. I had to look them up.

Lazarus

#197907 - 01/04/08 03:51 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: Lazarus]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Lazarus,

You raise a good point in that the show itself could be simple sensationalism. I didn't stop there - I went all the way back to Jesus' time! lol

Sensationalism is definitely not restricted to our era. It existed in biblical times as well, and ever since.

Apocrypha and pseudopigrapha are interesting writings at best. These are books which were not canonized due to popular doubts in their authenticity.

Andy

1. That

#197909 - 01/04/08 03:56 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: Lazarus]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Hey Lazarus!

I know that History.com has episodes for sale, I don't know if you want to buy it.

As far as I'm concerned, this account of what happened is just as credible as anything else in the Bible. I think it's just another piece in the quilt work of early Christianity. A lot of people think that Christianity in its beginnings was just one group, but really, it was a lot of groups -- who sometimes argued about what stories were and were not true, and what in general was and was not true. It wasn't until the Roman Empire adopted it that it became congealed into one (or fewer, when Luther came around) sects.

I don't believe inclusion in the Bible necessarily denotes truth no more than any other story. It just fit the church more. \:\)

#197911 - 01/04/08 04:01 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: AndyJB2005]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Andy,

"this account of what happened is just as credible as anything else in the Bible."

I cannot agree with this statement. The bible as we know it was canonized with a methodology. It was not a case of simply flinging a bunch of books together and foisting it off on the world by some unknown author with no regard to future royalties. If this History channel had anything to offer on this "missing" piece such as the language it was written in, then we have a running start. Without a few simple facts of origin, it would have to be written off as pure sensationalism.

Ultimately, it is up to the reader/listener to believe what they wish, but I like to think that a bit of research could be utilized to bolster the point of view, whichever it may be.

Andy

Edited by FormerTexan (01/04/08 04:09 PM)

1. That

#197915 - 01/04/08 04:39 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: FormerTexan]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
I read about the "Dead Sea scroll's" and they have been in the possession of the Catholic church for over 50 years, they're reason for not releasing them is that they are having trouble translating them. A very small part of the scrolls was released to an outside source and they were translated and released within a year. Nothing revolutionary in the release.

I'm not saying anything about what is or isn't in Jesus' writings but I think it's obvious that other motives are involved in what we know and don't know about what Jesus was actually saying.

Everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt, especially from such an organization as the Catholic church. We question every other "big brother" type org, why would we think such a powerful org. as The Catholic church would be any different.

Of course they have their own agenda.

Mike

#197918 - 01/04/08 04:47 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: FormerTexan]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andy, I appreciate your faith, and the time you have spent studying it. You are certainly not one of the 'sheep' who blindly accept everything under the general heading of 'gospel'. You have obviously put a lot of thought into your beliefs and I respect that.

While I cannot quote the language of the missing gospel, I'm certain that the 'experts' producing that episode portrayed the language, composition and physical attributes of the tests as being perfectly legitimate. I just can't argue that point unless and until I review that particular pseudo-documentary.

We all know the story of Lazarus as mentioned in the Gospel of John, not of Mark. However, it is common to find references to similar events in many different Gospels.

In Mark, the oldest and generally considered most accurate gospel, there is a suspicious 'disconnect' between two adjacent verses (If I find which ones, I'll let you know) that implies a lapse of 3 or more days while Jesus was visiting Jerusalem that was simply not commented on.

in 1958 Columbia University's Morton Smith found manu>

#197919 - 01/04/08 04:50 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: mogigo]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Just want to say that I think Jesus was the most incredible man in the history of mankind. The church, not so much.

Mike

#197920 - 01/04/08 04:57 PM Re: Jesus Christ [Re: mogigo]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK, Mike - given that, would anything in your opinion of Jesus change if you found out that he slept with a young man whom he had just resurrected?

Just curious,

Lazarus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.