Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
3 registered (Rich1967, 2 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64154 Topics
447641 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#197680 - 01/02/08 08:41 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: James_dup1]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

Glad this is going to turn out good for you----Bryan-------------you getting a kitten????or a cat???????????????enjoy--------------steve

#197693 - 01/02/08 10:30 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: BJK]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado

#197705 - 01/02/08 11:21 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: mogigo]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Awww...I love tabby cats the best:)

I'll definitely post a link or two when this is all said and done. This is still probably a month away, though.

Steve, I'm not entirely sure if I'll get a cat or a kitten yet. I plan to go to the local Petsmart to get one that was rescued by the human society, and the plan is to let it pick me. I hope it ends up being a tabby...and a nose toucher.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#197706 - 01/02/08 11:22 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: mogigo]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm kind of a cat guy, just some thought's if you're new to it.

Squinting to a cat is smiling, if you're cat is looking you in the eye, squint at it, it's a smile. Staring at a cat is aggression, imagine someone staring at you. I know I don't like someone staring at me.

Talk to you're cat, it won't have the slightest idea what you're saying but it will know you're communicating with it, it will love that you're talking to him/her.

Cat's understand corporal, I know this goes against what "we" all have been through, but it's not smart enough to understand past corporal. A swift smack in the ass when it's done something wrong sends it a message loud and clear. Won't hurt it as long as it's just the ass.

Use you're strength accordingly, pet it as you would a human who is 15 pounds, they love hard, but hard for a cat not a human.

Hope I don't sound arrogant Bryan, there is a huge difference between a cat who is a family member/companion and a pet. One will love you unconditionally and the other will avoid you.

They are wonderful creatures

Mike

#197711 - 01/02/08 11:45 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: mogigo]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Mike.

I had two cats when I was little, and a third when I was a young adult (who was donated to my aunt at a time when I wasn't able to afford it anymore). I'll never forget the cats I had as a child.

I figured I'd take a moment to write about them.

The big, gray, 28-lb tabby was Homer, and he was all muscle. He was a big lug, but was also as smart as they come. His purr could be heard through the whole house, and as lovable as he was, that was quite often. This cat didn't have an ounce of mean in him, and he loved to cuddle. Unfortunately, at 28 pounds, when he kneaded his paws on a guy's chest at 3:00 AM, it was noticed. His only two flaws were that he loved to chase the waves in waterbeds, and he loved to play with drapes. Okay, he also knew how to open doorknobs, cupboards, and even toilet seats. We learned quickly to make sure all the doors were locked, and to tread carefully when going into the kitchen cupboards or bathroom vanity for anything. Did I mention that he loved water? It was quite common for him to join us in the shower, and when we tried to introduce the water bottle for punishment for playing with the drapes, he just sat and purred while we drenched him. I heard him hiss once in his entire life, and that was just him being protective of me. A buddy was pushing me around in my own house, and Homer sounded like a Puma when he snarled at him. With his back fur ruffled and his tail puffed out, he was an extremly scary sight to behold. Let's just say I'm glad he was on my side. His one really annoying habit was how he loved to jump across our entryway foyer from the kitchen to the living room. It was about a ten foot leap over a flight of stairs going down from the ledge to the couch, and he liked to do it while anyone was sitting on the couch. That was NOT a good thing during horror movies.

Tweety was a large female calico, but next to Homer, she looked quite small and frail. Homer and Tweety were actually from the same litter, and Tweety came in at 18 lbs in her own right. She was the perfect cat in every way. She liked to knead her paws often, her purr was soft, and she would curl up around my hand when I slept at night. She didn't like Homer's playful banter much. We would often hear them tumble across the floor late at night. Homer just wanted a little cat and mouse, but Tweety would growl and hiss amidst her evasive maneuvers. I don't ever recall Tweety doing something she wasn't supposed to do except the one time she was gnawing on an aloe vera plant. I gave her a squirt from the spray bottle, and she went into convulsions. She hissed, swatted, jumped, flipped, and I didn't see her again for hours. I felt so bad, I could never do that to her again. I'll never forget her tendency to find the highest point in the room to look down upon her human companions.

The cat I had as an adult never did get a name. It was just as lovable as the other two except it hated being pet. It loved to snuggle, but the second I tried to stroke its fur, it would latch on to my hand for dear life. I think it was extremely ticklish. It got out of the house once in its entire life, and it brought me back a sparrow...a live one. It put it down, looked up at me with a meow, and the chase was on. I'm not sure what did more damage...the bird flying through my house or the cat trying to catch it. It loved to sleep on my face at night, and I'm not really sure why. As fate would have it, I ran into a bad spell with funds due to my own bad habits of the time, and I ended up donating him to my aunt, who took very good care of it. It never did learn to allow people to pet it.

All three of these cats were nose-touchers. Anyone who has had a nose-toucher cat knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#197714 - 01/02/08 11:57 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: BJK]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

#197715 - 01/03/08 12:15 AM Re: Animal Companions [Re: sabata]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

\:\) \:\) \:\) awesome video Steve lol.

Sorry Bryan, just wanted you to have what you're looking for \:\) \:\)

Mine are lifesaver's, definately.

Cat's rule

Mike

#197726 - 01/03/08 07:35 AM Re: Animal Companions [Re: mogigo]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

That was a pretty cool video:)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#197766 - 01/03/08 01:28 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: BJK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Bryan,

What a cool de>
This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#197798 - 01/03/08 09:32 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: roadrunner]
Whicker Offline

Loc: Pastures of Oregon
Bryan,

Wow, but you've touched on a difficult subject for me right now.
I'm an animal nut. I LOVE 'em, the more the merrier! I don't adhere to any particular type/breed. It's their personality that impresses me the most (even for those felines who 'Own' me, that don't want anything to DO with me! till feeding time!).

However, as another person already mentioned, be very careful for yourself.

I've been depressed all my life (having learned just what the heck that is these last 7 years), and I often found IMMENSE relief/relaxation from the companionship of my critters.

But loosing them,,,, oh man...

I lost my greatest love in this life, Linda, 7 months ago. In mid-December, I had to personally put down my eldest feline Matriarch, and it devastated me.

I just lost my beloved Stallion this morning. He developed colic New Year's Day, and even with the Vet's help, the pain and suffering he endured was too much. He fought hard, and I had to make the decision to end his life, taking away the pain I/we could not cure.

I'm in so much pain now, even though I still have 7 felines, and my two turtles (btw, turtles usually DON'T make for cuddly critters!), depending on me for their care and lives...

The pain of loving something, then loosing it is horrible. Being depressed already, can make for an unbelievably difficult situation.

I applaud your efforts for critter companionship, and I pray that you and your prospective kitty have many, many long years of health and joy.

I swore to myself, after surviving the 'Holidays', that '08 WOULD be a better year than '07, or I wasn't going to play anymore.

Now, this...

***Nabbing a wandering furball for some serious snuggling***

Whicker

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.