Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
7 registered (gettingstronger, ShortedDiode, JayBro, On The Fringe, 3 invisible), 67 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62520 Topics
438136 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#19771 - 07/23/05 10:52 PM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
Soccer Kid Offline

Loc: Missouri
I took the liberty to compile a list of statutes of limitations for criminal cases (only) involving the sexual abuse of children.

You might be surprised that even though your 40 you can still prosecute!

Disclaimer: This is NOT legal advice! Consult a licensed attorney in your state for accurate information.

Definitions:
-Statute of limitations: a certain amount of time set by law that a person has to bring civil and/or criminal cases to justice. When they "expire" no cases can be brought forth.
-Tolling: allowing "extra" time for children victims of crime

Note: Some states have exceptions to the following laws. Depending on your specific situation you may fall under these exceptions. If you have questions, corrections or want help finding an attorney in your state let me know and I will be glad to help you.

If anyone is interested in civil statutes let me know and I can post them too \:\)

ALABAMA
none

ALASKA
1st or 2nd degree - none | 3rd - 10 years

ARIZONA
7 years

ARKANSAS
6 years

CALIFORNIA
aggrivated - none | non-agrivated 6 years

COLORADO
10 years

CONNECTICUT
5 years

DELAWARE
1st degree - none | lesser degree - 5 years

DC
6 years

FLORIDA
1st degree - 4 years

GEORGIA
15 years

HAWAII
1st degree - 6 years | 2nd & 3rd - 3 years

IDAHO
none

ILLINOIS
10 years (note: must have reported offense to law enforcement within 2 years of commission of offense)

INDIANA
Class A - none | Class B - 5 years

IOWA
1st, 2nd & 3rd - 10 years

KANSAS
5 years

KENTUCKY
none

LOUISIANA
agrivated - none | forcible - 10 years | simple - 4 years

MAINE
6 years

MARYLAND
none

MASSACHUSETTS
15 years

MICHIGAN
6 years

MINNESOTA
9 years (note: if victim fails to report offense within limitation period, prosecution must start within 3 years of reporting offense.)

MISSISSIPPI
none | sexual battery - 2 years

MISSOURI
none | sexual assault - 3 years

MONTANA
10 years

NEBRASKA
7 years

NEVADA
4 years (note: there is no limitation if offense is reported to law enforcement within the 4 year period.)

NEW HAMPSHIRE
6 years

NEW JERSEY
sexual assault - none | aggrivated sexual conduct - 5 years

NEW MEXICO
1st - none | 2nd - 6 years | 3rd & 4th - 5 years

NEW YORK
5 years

NORTH CAROLINA
none

NORTH DAKOTA
3 years

OHIO
20 years

OKLAHOMA
7 years

OREGON
6 years

PENNSYLVANIA
5 years

RHODE ISLAND
1st - none | lesser - 3 years

SOUTH CAROLINA
none

SOUTH DAKOTA
7 years

TENNESSEE
aggrivated - 15 years | 8 years | sexual battery - 2 years

TEXAS
7 years

UTAH
4 years

VERMONT
aggrivated - none | 6 years

VIRGINIA
none

WASHINGTON
10 years (note: must be reported to law enforcement within 1 year)

WEST VIRGINIA
none

WISCONSIN
6 years

WYOMING
none

"Reality is just an illusion."

#19773 - 07/23/05 11:00 PM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

I - not the young man, I - age of 26 years. I shall speak in court that one person do to me soon. I find now when yes, to speak, it should find our own power again.

But it is the most fair, I speak, that I am rather afraid to make it. I - with the obligation, I have told, that I shall be, which - all certainly. But I am afraid of it very much. I am afraid of effects which it will have on my life, and I know, that there will be the some people. I am not afraid of that happens with that man. That man, he is rather malicious and broken, and his life, I think finished when all over again he choose to harm to children. I have no anxiety for him. But for me. He will go to prison, it is possible for a life, possible he will receive the offer to die. But again, what from me? I shall be the set questions of me directly, my own behavior and actions. This man, he selects me because me then I am 15 years age, living alone and doing sexual things for money. It - not actions, which I wish my friends and familiars to know about me. It - not things which I wish that my sister knew about me. And still, after that, they will be. How my life will change from this? How people will think different of me? He is least important from problems. It is of great importance to me, that he really goes to prison. But I do not know, that I only would like to oppose him if it had my own choice of time. And as I speak, I - not the child, I am the adult. All this still - the reason of fear to me. I know, that I have some friends, very close who will support me with it. I am mainly confident, that my sister will be. Who - or in my life or in the world, I have no ideas, that they will think, and it frightens me.

It can be power. It can be also fear. I think right now for me, it - both.

VN

#19775 - 07/23/05 11:25 PM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
demonboi Offline

Loc: East Coast
I coulnd't do it, I don't want to. I'm just being honest. My stomach hurts and I cry, I can't do it. I cant' even think about it, brings up too much stuff.

Every hour, cause it's all good
Leave all the stress from the world outside
Every wrong done will be alright
Nothin but peace, love
And street passion, every ghetto needs a thug mansion

#19776 - 07/23/05 11:29 PM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Jasper, I cannot voice my true opinion here, because I was so young and innocent when this happened to me, and I lost all thought of rational thinking.

Not being able to think rationally as an adult, can be such a disabling condition, and It can mean that I can possibly be misunderstood as I was as a child.

When a child is abused, he tries to make sense of the hurt, he tries to make sense of why he was hurt, he tries to make sense of everything around him, and how his life and normal relationships can ever be the same as his peers.

He becomes detached from society even if it is only subtle, but he detaches from his normal approach to growing up and 'thriving' in society with all of this emotional baggage.

He learns to survive even though he carries the weight of his past, and his past can be a massive weight to carry, when he realises all of the normal relationships he should have been able to achieve, but were smashed through abuse.

An abused boy will ALWAYS BLAME HIMSELF, how could he not do!

When I was a kid, I just had to be away from everybody, cos, I got dragged around clinics and hospitals, and every doc I saw I thought, Ok, I am gonna tell you what the real trouble is.

I felt like something that can never be fixed, but how can you fix a broken childhood, I dont know if there is an answer, but I dont think there is.

What happened to me was never my fault, and it caused me deep mental trauma, and it made me feel alien in my family, because it made me feel like it was my fault.

I did not get so much support except from my dad.

Maybe I write a real triggering post here, where the kid (Me) felt so vulnerable with no way out.

I have to get through tho, to the other side of feeling that it was my fault, and it is not easy,

ste

#19778 - 07/24/05 12:19 AM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
demonboi Offline

Jasper-I understand. But I just can't do it. Could you bring your abuser to court at 13?

Nothin but peace, love

#19782 - 07/24/05 12:31 AM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
demonboi Offline

Leave my sister out of this. It has nothing to do with her.

Nothin but peace, love

#19783 - 07/24/05 12:36 AM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasper50:

I just wonder if some other boy might be hurting. Only you know the answer to that question.

But whatever you decide you are not to blame.
These two statements appear to be rather contradictory, and lend some credence to my prior caution of pressuring a young person to do something they are not ready for. There appears to be an essence of trying to 'guilt' someone into acting when they are not in the emotionally stable place to do so. Please be careful in this. Everyone.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#19784 - 07/24/05 12:37 AM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
demonboi Offline

word to leosha

Nothin but peace, love

#19788 - 07/24/05 01:25 AM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
demonboi Offline

Okay,

I just don't like my family being brought into this cos I'm trying to protect them from it. Like I don't want them dealing with it. We're cool, its okay. Just hit a nerve that you dind't realize was there.

It hurts her a lot that I was in the hospital cos she feels like she should have done something. but what? I didn't tell anyone.

I haven't told trinity all about it, i want to but I don't. I just told her I got hurt and was coming to this site. Showed her a little. She posted a bit about me being in the hosptial like making sure no one was worried about me. It upsets her and I don't want to upset her, I hate it when that happens and the people I love are hurt by it.

Ryan talked to me about pressing charges. He's her boyfriend. I just changed the subject real fast. I didn't want to talk about it. Ry wants me to but Trinity hasn't said anything about it.

Nothin but peace, love

#19790 - 07/24/05 01:40 AM Re: Stop the Perps NOW--Young people, prosecute!
Sinking Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Took my ball and went home.
asper - This thread has obviously struck a major chord among us. But it's taking on a life of its own. There seems to be a 'bipartisan' feel to it. The older men here, most specifically you, seem to want to push the issue, seem to want to encourage the younger men, indeed boys, to report their abusers and take on all that comes with that, as if they didn't have enough to deal with already.

It is a good time to remind everyone here of a couple of things.

First off, most everyone here, was abused by someone older than they were at the time. Encouragement to these younger survivors might feel very much like coercion because it is coming from older men. Be careful of that. No one likes to feel that they are being led down a path that they know leads to something negative. Especially with the past we share. You will, hopefully, only get resistance from those who feel that way, especially from the younger survivors here.

Secondly, you are a man of 50 years old, give or take. You are much more emotionally mature than the young men you are addressing. You have had many years to process what happened to you when you were young. You've had the benefit of therapy and your PTSD group and friends you can talk to and Andy by your side and, most importantly, the comfort, for lack of a better word, that you will not have to come face to face with your abuser ever again. Yet somehow you seem to expect, despite your caveats to the contrary, these young men to take on a task too daunting for them to even comprehend.

There is no good answer to this, except for EVERYONE's answer. The masses have spoken, please let it alone. Otherwise, I fear you will put upon these amazing young survivors a burden that is not theirs, to try to protect others from their abusers. That burden belongs solely to the abusers themselves.

I hope we all can take a well deserved breath, realize that the most important thing for any and all of us to do is to take care of ourselves. Heal yourselves.

IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO TAKE CARE OF ANYONE ELSE!! IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO REPORT ANYONE FOR ANYTHING!! Our focus needs to be on healing and recovery for ourselves. If we ever feel strong enough to do for others, we will know when that time is and we will act then.
Peace to All - John

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.