Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (kcinohio, finallyhere, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63370 Topics
443129 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#196959 - 12/28/07 10:52 AM Reflecting on '07 Connections
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Looking back at this year, I think about the connections I've made and wish it wasn't over. It's been a good year for connecting with others, and for overall growth in other areas.

1) January-June - Sponsored by my local support org, starting with a weekend retreat in Estes Park, then every Wednesday for about six months, I met with 5 other men. Each Wednesday night, a couple of us would share what's going on with us and accept feedback and direction from the other 5, coupled with prayer. It's a safe and structured environment where we help each other grow and achieve goals we all set at the start of the group. A couple of those meeting times were spent either over dinner or mini-golf.

2) April - For the first time since 1991, I and my 3 siblings were under the same roof again. We had a dinner together without our parents, and took an old-style picture together after dinner. We did the same thing in 1979, and were careful to place ourselves in the same positions in the new picture. We took other pictures at the house, also duplicating positioning of pictures past.

3) June - Right after the men's group wrapped up, I met up with several of the greatest men I've ever met. We set out to have a retreat of our own elsewhere in the state, and enjoyed scenery and other activities together for a few days. On the end of that retreat...

4) June again - For the rest of the month, I set out on a road trip with a local friend. We headed for California to see friends of ours in the north, and to attend a conference and see more friends in the south part. On the way, we saw Sequoia Nat'l Park, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, and Point Reyes National Seashore. We put some 4,000 miles on my truck! Met up with a friend while going through.

5) August - I went to see my brother in Texas. We had arranged to take a bunch of obsolete computer equipment to the dump, and when we got there, we had a blast just heaving those old parts onto the heap of junk already there. We also checked out a Star Wars exhibit in Fort Worth. While en route to see my brother, I met another friend on the way for dinner and a good visit.

6) September - The Weekend of Recovery at Alta. More miles on my truck, but worth every mile. I met many of my survivor brethren for an event I won't forget for a long time to come, including one I had already been talking to for 2 years. I'm still in close contact with a few of those men.

7) There are other contacts I have made in recent months with people I would love to talk more with in the future. One of those was last weekend, from someone I had not seen in 31 years! A couple others were folks from MS whom I talked with for a while now. We enjoyed more conversation over dinner, and in one case a type of dinner I never tried before.

I hate to see this year end, but next year is another open door to go and visit people. If I didn't have to work, I would drive all over the country visiting any of you who would want a visit.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#197024 - 12/28/07 08:46 PM Re: Reflecting on '07 Connections [Re: FormerTexan]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Andy,

I have to admit my year has been a series of ups and downs, but the best part of the year, was a weekend in October. The therapists I met at Peebles, were the most amazing and gracious people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. When I look back on the year, I do cherish the WoR.

Many of the other men at the weekend have become friends, and I hope to keep those friendships alive. I would also like to extend an invitation to you.

If you ever find yourself passing through St. Louis, on your travels, please allow me to buy you dinner and a beer(or coffee). I am always willing to meet new friends and put a face to the many posts you have made.

With luck, this meeting will turn into a long lasting friendship.

Good wishes for the new year, and I wish you safe travels.

Talk to you later,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#197026 - 12/28/07 08:50 PM Re: Reflecting on '07 Connections [Re: Scoutvictim]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andy,

Thank you for this post. You've kind of inspired me to do something similar to kind of chart my progress this year. It's been a roller coaster, hasn't it? I've been happy to have you on the ride with me.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#197285 - 12/30/07 04:44 PM Re: Reflecting on '07 Connections [Re: BJK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Andy,

It's been great to be with you on parts of that journey. I hope 2008 is as challenging and fruitful for all of us.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.