Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
2 registered (MrEdd, PhoenixRising), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63563 Topics
444102 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#196883 - 12/27/07 09:49 PM Animal Companions
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

So I've been thinking about getting a cat. That means I had to dig out my lease to read the fine print.

I live in a "no pet" building, but all my lease states is that all pets must be approved by the landlord and may be subject to an additional lease fee.

Okay, so my question that I will pose to my therapist tomorrow (and possibly my psychiatrist when I see him next month) is, does severe depression constitute a medical need for an animal companion?

I don't want to move. I love where I live. Heated underground parking is an anemity I have learned to love a great deal living in the frigid north.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#196885 - 12/27/07 09:56 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: BJK]
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
The ADA clearly states that a landlord CAN NOT refuse a service animal. All you need is a doctor, social worker, therapist to say you need one for a service animal. They DO NOT have to explain what service the anmial will provide you. If you do a web search for the American with Disability's Act you will find the excit wording. A lot of landlords will "TRY" to tell you it HAS to be a doctor, but I do believe the ADA is worded in such a way that it does not have to be a doctor.. a LCSW can write it out for you.

Best of luck
James

#196889 - 12/27/07 10:11 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: James_dup1]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Cats ARE cool. Dogs ARE cool. But..........I found that the pain of losing a pet that I loved wasn't worth what I got out of it. I myself will have to change before I get another pet. Plus, they tie you down bigtime. And the vet bills, that's another racket.

Bryan. What I'm saying is, as a former owner of a beloved pet, if you're looking for companionship and love, I urge you to look for it in people, not animals. Why? Well, because it's REALLY easy to isolate yourself with an animal. I know that you hardly ever leave your home except to go to work anyway, but, Bryan, I would not do it. You need people dude, not an animal. Animals love unconditionally, yes, but, it's shallow compared to the relationships that people can offer. Yes I'm generalizing so please don't give me flak about the depth of the relationships that pets can offer. But I think you see what I'm saying right?

Go for people Bryan. I fear that if you get a cat, you won't ever leave your house to meet people.

I'm speaking in very simplistic terms here, but I just wanted to get straight to my point. If you were a "normal" person, I wouldn't even comment about this. But you're not normal, and neither are most of us.

#196892 - 12/27/07 10:38 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: Hauser]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

James,

Thanks for your response. I've found a lot of supporting literature, but I've been unable to find the exact wording in the ADA that would be applicable here.

Alan,

My purpose of getting a cat wouldn't be to spend all of my time with it. I remember when I was younger, dealing with severe depression, how much easier it was to deal with it with something as simple as a cat to show some affection. I still deal with some pretty serious depression, though it ebbs and flows. When I was at dinner tonight with my aunt and her family (it's my aunt's birthday today), and she mentioned the ADA and how it might help me to get a cat, it took a tremendous amount of strain for me to not burst into tears.

Yeah, it can get that bad at times.

No, I'm not seeking a replacement for human interaction here. Yeah, I've dealt with the loss of a pet before. It was nothing compared to what I've been through these past few months.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#196895 - 12/27/07 10:57 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: BJK]
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
Cat's are cool, right now I have ten pound male cat sleeping on my monitor. Most of the time Rascal won't give me the time of day, except for eating. But when it gets cold all of a sudden I am his best friend. The best of luck with getting a pet.

Take care,
Clifford

#196896 - 12/27/07 11:03 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: lostcowboy]
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Bryan,

OK I found some information on HUD's web site for you. What it says there is this:
If you or someone associated with you:

Have a physical or mental disability (including hearing, mobility and visual impairments, chronic alcoholism, chronic mental illness, AIDS, AIDS Related Complex and mental retardation) that substantially limits one or more major life activities
Have a record of such a disability or
Are regarded as having such a disability
your landlord may not:

Refuse to let you make reasonable modifications to your dwelling or common use areas, at your expense, if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing. (Where reasonable, the landlord may permit changes only if you agree to restore the property to its original condition when you move.)
Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices or services if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing.
Example: A building with a "no pets" policy must allow a visually impaired tenant to keep a guide dog.

Example: An apartment complex that offers tenants ample, unassigned parking must honor a request from a mobility-impaired tenant for a reserved space near her apartment if necessary to assure that she can have access to her apartment.

However, housing need not be made available to a person who is a direct threat to the health or safety of others or who currently uses illegal drugs.

Here's the link if you want to read more on it.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/FHLaws/yourrights.cfm

And this is the link to the ADA Home page if you would like to read up on more of this.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

Hope this helps.
James

#196898 - 12/27/07 11:37 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: James_dup1]
healing_inside Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bryan,

I think a cat is a wonderful idea if it is allowed.

I have a part simese cat and boy does she talk and talk.

I look forward to having her greet me when i step in the door. My house is never empty because I know she is there.

I hope it works out for you.

Take Care, Jim

*** WoR Retreat Alumni - Alta 2005 ***

#196901 - 12/28/07 12:02 AM Re: Animal Companions [Re: healing_inside]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bryan,

There have been a number of lawsuits in our area concerning this very issue where the landlord refused to allow a pet his renter requested a waiver for because of depression issues. The landlord lost every time.

Cat's are neat animals. I think you'll enjoy him/her. I wish you the best of luck on this.

Lots of love,

John

#196950 - 12/28/07 10:03 AM Re: Animal Companions [Re: WalkingSouth]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I have a kitty. I love her to death. \:\)

Even if she keeps me up at night sometimes. LOL Although she's been good about that lately. \:\)

Not to sound weird but she's the closest I might come to having kids.

#196951 - 12/28/07 10:06 AM Re: Animal Companions [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Bryan,

What comes out most clearly in your post is that you really like where you live now, and that relocating would be an unwanted and negative experience for you. So the question becomes this: Is it worth it crossing your landlord by trying to force a pet on him because you can prove a mandated need for one? That is, will it be worth it having a cool pet around if the result is to poison your relations with your landlord?

I would at least seek his approval first - maybe he would give it. If he refuses, then that shows he's pretty adamant about such issues and is likely to take it badly if you confront him with a cat and a medical note.

I love pets (though I am a dog person) and I can imagine how much joy a cat would bring you. I would just suggest looking at the whole picture ahead of time. That's what you will have to live with one way or the other.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.