Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 21 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64020 Topics
446789 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#196963 - 12/28/07 12:22 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: roadrunner]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: roadrunner
So the question becomes this: Is it worth it crossing your landlord by trying to force a pet on him because you can prove a mandated need for one?

Good point. I usually expect interactions with people, especially authority figures like landlords, to be conflicts, as in, "I'm going to need the ADA in order to get what I want." Things usually go much easier if I just ask for what I want in a reasonable tone. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize that though!

Having a pet may cost a bit more in rent (cats can be messy!), but if you can't afford that, can you afford the food and veterinary care and cute cat toys and scratching posts and so on? When my dog needs a vet, it is almost always late on Saturday so we have to pay extra for after hours time at the clinic. And I think it is well worth it! One nice thing about a dog is that they have to go out - and that means I have to go out with her. Gets me off of the couch, out into the world and a bit less isolated.

Mike

#197089 - 12/29/07 11:59 AM Re: Animal Companions [Re: mike5]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, very good point, Larry. I tend to expect conflict when it comes to authority figures as well, and I suppose as a result, I end up being the one starting the conflict trying to pre-empt it from happening.

At any rate, it appears as if the rules in North Dakota seem to be set up to prevent this type of conflict. I spoke with my T yesterday, and she said I would need to obtain a form from my landlord. Then, since I'm seeing a psychiatrist quarterly anyway, it would be best to have him fill it out (instead of my T).

My T wholeheartedly agreed, though, that an animal companion would help me immensely. I gave her the example of how, over the past six months, I have been extremely prone to fits of crying and how therapeutical the purring, the cat rubs, or nose touching of a cat can be to ease that depression.

She also, however, made caution against starting any kind of a quarrel, and how it might be better to just move than to push this issue at this stage of my recovery if my landlord decides to completely deny the request. My lease expires at the end of February, so it's probably a good time for all of this to happen.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#197091 - 12/29/07 12:32 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: BJK]
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Bryan,

Best of luck on things. It's hard to stand up for myself in matter's when dealing with people who either have or has the illustion of authority over me. It's something I am working on right now as part of my recovery. But a kitty would be nice. I have been debateing for some time on getting a small pet myself.

Keep us updated man.

James

#197145 - 12/29/07 07:13 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: James_dup1]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

this thread almost got me to go out and get a pet-----------------------then i thought-naw------------------i dont want the hassel---------------or responsiblity-------------------------thats just me-----------------------allthought-the idea of having a pet to love me sounds appealing-------------------------as i cant find any people -to do that-------------------in my real life where i live---------------------well sorry bryan-didnt mean to hyjack this----------------------i hope you are able to get a prt to love you----------steve

#197467 - 12/31/07 08:07 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: sabata]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Steve,

The importance of this pet isn't in getting the pet to love me.

The importance is learning to love the pet. For if I can learn to truly love someone or something in a healthy way, there is no doubt that the other person or thing, if it is also healthy, will learn to love me back.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#197471 - 12/31/07 08:50 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: BJK]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

sorry if i mis understood-------------steve

#197493 - 01/01/08 12:44 AM Re: Animal Companions [Re: sabata]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Steve,

No apology necessary. In fact, I think that understanding the difference is an essential part of this whole recovery process. I know it has been for me. The point where I understood that it was about loving rather than being loved was the point where I also understood that I was ready to put the life of another living thing in my hands.

Be strong.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#197662 - 01/02/08 06:31 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: roadrunner]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I spoke with my landlord today, and she advised me that there is a form that I can have my psychiatrist fill out when I go to see him next month.

I can't believe how stressful this whole thing has been, and how difficult that 30 second conversation was for me to have. Now, I feel kind of silly for being so stressed out.

Thanks to everyone here.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#197675 - 01/02/08 08:06 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: BJK]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Great News, Bryan!

Yeah, I know about that stress stuff... Been there countless times. Have also felt silly about it probably an equal amount of times. Ahh.... Well......

Glad she seems sympathetic. Get yourself a cat, Buddy.... or a dog.... or.... \:\)

#197677 - 01/02/08 08:35 PM Re: Animal Companions [Re: WalkingSouth]
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Quote:
I feel kind of silly for being so stressed out.

You shouldnt feel silly at all. Stess over the unknown is a normal human reaction.

I am really glad your landlord was understanding over the importance of this for you. And she must be aware if she has a form already for you to fill out. So you must not be the first one to ask her.

Be sure to let us know what you get and maybe a link to photobucket so we can see your new friend.

James

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.