Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63179 Topics
441785 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#196312 - 12/22/07 07:25 PM My Yearly Christmas Rant
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm sorry to be a scrooge, but I'm at a melting point.

I'm not Christian. I don't celebrate Christmas. Stop feeling sorry for me already!

Seriously, I've been wished Merry Christmas five gajillion times in the past two days. Sure, I can deal with that. But the fact is, the solstice, which went from yesterday to today, is a much more important day to me than Christmas. The shortest day of the year means that the days start getting longer. It means that it will soon be light out when I get off from work at 5:00. It will soon be light out when I leave for work at 7:00. I cherish this part of the year for that reason and that reason alone.

So, for the 24 hour period that marks the soltice, I tend to respond to people's Merry Christmas greetings with a happy solstice greeting of my own.

And people get offended. "How dare you defile the Lord's name?"

Come on people. I have to endure your Christmas bullshit for more than a month every year. I have to avoid stores because crazy parents are willing to steal items out of each others' shopping carts to get a good deal. I am sick and tired of the Salvation Army ringing their damn bell. I'm out of groceries at the moment because I will not go out to the stores blaring their Christmas season Muzac at full speed. I can only take so much Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer before my whole fricking face starts to turn red.

Last Tuesday at work, one of my co-workers innocently asked me what I was doing for Christmas this year. I responded honestly by saying, "wishing something was open so I won't be bored out of my mind." She then invited me over to Christmas dinner at her house. It was a nice gesture to which I respectfully declined. Then she started pushing the issue, trying to sound like a martyr. "I know what it's like to be alone for Christmas." Shut the hell up already.

I'm sorry. I hate this time of year not because of the fact that it triggers me or because I'm lonely. I hate this time of year because everyone thinks I should treat it like it's some special day when I just don't view it that way.

Christmas is a day off. Period. I can't wait until it's over.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#196315 - 12/22/07 07:31 PM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: BJK]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Well said. lol. I just like Christmas because I can see my family, give presents to my nephews, and PIG OUT! Woo!

If I was up there, I'd come to your house on Christmas Day, Bryan. I'll be alone too. My family does the Christmas thing on the Eve because bro-in-laws family INSISTS on doing theirs Christmas Day.

Happy Solstice to you! \:\)

#196317 - 12/22/07 07:33 PM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: BJK]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
HAPPY SOLSTICE BRYAN

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

#196325 - 12/22/07 08:30 PM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: GateKPR4]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
All I want for Christmas is....

FOR IT TO BE JANUARY! and over with! :-)

I too find it too much.

Welcome the return of the sun.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#196330 - 12/22/07 08:47 PM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: LandOfShadow]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Bryan,

I suspect there will always be strong polarization on both sides of the holiday camp. Every year at this time I see both sides opposing each other so strongly that either side becomes even more resolved. I was raised to see Christmas as middle-of-the road - not really religious, yet still called Christmas. The meaning for me was blurred into the commercial side.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#196335 - 12/22/07 09:22 PM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: FormerTexan]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Bryan,

I consider myself a spiritual person but hey, I still appreciate your post and the honesty of your attitude.

And your post reminds me of a wonderful Gahan Wilson cartoon I saw years ago. It shows a crowd of frantic people carrying staffs with the letter "N" at the top, and among the crowd there are characters (obviously "priests") dressed in robes with a big "N" embroidered on them. And at the front of the crowd there is an alter, with the word "Nothing" written on it.

At the back of the crowd there's a man asking a priest a question, and the caption of the cartoon is: "Is Nothing sacred?"

Happy Solstice,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#196389 - 12/23/07 10:42 AM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: roadrunner]
DanM Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: So. California
Byran...a belated Happy Solstice!!

#196444 - 12/23/07 07:29 PM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: DanM]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Some practical greetings for the season:

Happy day-the-days-start-to-get-longer!

Happy anniversary to last years' dumb grab bag gift from the office that's still in my trunk!

Congratulations to me for breaking my own December 23rd emergecy gift run record--1 minute, 6 seconds, excluding wrapping.

Seasons' Greetings from the bits of sanity still rattling around in my head.

#196456 - 12/23/07 08:35 PM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: MemoryVault]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am feeling a little bit better about the season now that I have isolated myself for a day. Back to work to tomorrow with a dozen and a half more "Merry Christmas" greetings. Gotta love how everyone always rants about where my Christmas spirit is when I say "Bah humbug" by staying late on Christmas Eve so everyone else gets to go home early to be with their families.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#196469 - 12/23/07 09:49 PM Re: My Yearly Christmas Rant [Re: BJK]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I am not religious Brian and so i completely understand were you are coming from. But i don't think that this time of year is all bad. I do a lot of volunteer work for charities in my community. Christmas season brings in a huge amount of donations. I just wish people would be that willing to give year round. But my point is all though it is way over commercialized it isn't all bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.