Derek,

One thing you pointed out as a difference between victims who offend and victims who don't: Victims who told and were BELIEVED AND SUPPORTED by significant others in their life.

What we should take from this that can actually be changed is punishments for those that heard a report and were not supportive. Just a thought, the mandatory reporting laws must be strengthened. This crap about, "the victim wasn't willing to testify" is often, when researched found to be less than true. When we get serious about the enablers is when progress is to be made.

There is also a continuum here. Remember that a favorite trick of an abuser is to involve a victim in the abuse of others. Then the victim has as much to fear from discovery as the abuser. One case is the Shawn Hornbeck/Ben Ownby case. SH was kidnapped at 11 and held under threats/fear until 15, when he was forced to participate in kidnapping BO. SH was left at the apartment to guard BO. Taken to extremes, SH could have been prosecuted. Difference between this case and the SH case, SH was still under the sway of his kidnapper/abuser. This 15yo boy was beyond the immediate control and making independent decisions to perpetrate abuse.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.