Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (Cthulhu), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63124 Topics
441423 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195784 - 12/18/07 09:30 AM Question for the computer nerds here.....
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
I have a question. I have 2 computers in the house and I want to network them but have no idea how. What I would like to do is somehow hook up a wireless router to my laptop to where the desktop can pick up that signal. I have an aircard from my wireless company for my laptop and the desktop has a wireless adaptor on it. Is there anyway I can hookup a wireless router to my laptop useing the aircard as the internet signal and run it through a router so the desktop can get a wireless signal from it????

Thanks
James

#195789 - 12/18/07 10:35 AM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: James_dup1]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am not sure I full understand. But we do have one 'desktop' computer in our apartment here, and each us have the lap top also. The desktop is hooked up to the 'router' thing, and each us can use our laptop as 'wireless' also. I am not sure how it work to do it the opposite way. I hope someone can answer to you.

Andrei

#195801 - 12/18/07 01:15 PM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: ak]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
James,

This seems like quite a complicated model for an internet connection but I can tell you now that it is possible, just complex.

If you did get a wireless router (I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54GS) you could network the two computers using your wireless connection then it would be a matter of sharing your laptop's wireless network connexion. It isn't the greatest way to go because you'd be effectively not using any of the hardware firewall that is built into the router... But it would make it so your computer could access the internet at the same time as your laptop. You might also have to do a network bridge and stuff depending on how that aircard works.

This is a particularly complex setup and I wouldn't recommend tackling it without any prior networking experience. This all sounds fine and dandy till you try it out and something goes wrong. There is a strong possibility you'll have to work around firewalls on both computers as well as switching the router mode so it doesn't act as a gateway. Also there is an entire new layer of garbage to work through if one or both of the machines happens to be Vista.

Another suggestion if you do try this is: Purchase the router at a big chain store like best buy or staples -- they oftentimes have a 14-day money back guarantee so if you do try it, and fuss with it for a day or two and dont get it working, then you can return it and all you're out is the day or two

#195805 - 12/18/07 01:56 PM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: frost]
James_dup1 Offline

LOL ok then I dont have any experence in networking. So what would say would be the best way to link the laptop (which has the net conncection on it) and the desk top? Ethernet cable? router? wireless? I just want to be a able to set up both systems with the net.

Thanks
James

#195813 - 12/18/07 02:43 PM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: James_dup1]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

well, let me ask you something:

does your laptop have a wireless connexion IN ADDITION to the air card?

if the answer is yet, there should be a way to make your wireless laptop connection act as a router instead of a client. Then its just a matter of connecting your desktop computer's wireless signal to your laptop, and again using the laptop's ICS to share out the internet. So effectively turning your laptop into the router and your computer into a client. Man that is so backwards to the way its normally done.

#195814 - 12/18/07 02:47 PM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: frost]
James_dup1 Offline

LOL yeah welcome to my life ass backwards. Yes I have a wireless card built into my laptop. It's a Toshiba Satellite if that helps. If you know how to get it too send a singal instead of recieve one that would be great. Then I dont have to buy anything.

Thanks
James

#195825 - 12/18/07 03:52 PM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: James_dup1]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

my knowledge is a little limited here... but give the network setup wizard a try and see how that goes... this is one of those things that if i were there at your place i'd just go ahead and do it but to offer you instructions on a forum is a little... sketchy to say the least.

#195838 - 12/18/07 06:33 PM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: frost]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

i run a air card also-my provider just came out with a usb air card----------------previousley my air cards would only work on lap tops--------------express card slot----------------but with the usb air card------------------i can run it on my desk computer-or on my lap top-so i can get the internet connection-------------------on both computers----my provider is verizon-------------------------steve

#195852 - 12/18/07 08:09 PM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: James_dup1]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Go to Amazon.com through our MS bookstore (so we'll receive a kickback on the purchase price \:\) ), and purchase a copy of this book. It'll walk you through the process in simple steps and in language a layman can understand!

#195892 - 12/19/07 01:47 AM Re: Question for the computer nerds here..... [Re: WalkingSouth]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
The best thing would be to hook up your desktop directly to the router and then use the laptop as the wireless. Not sure exactly why you want the reverse as both with have the exact same access in the house with the desktop running directly through the ethernet with the laptop running through the router wirelessly.

It's just the simplest way, Is there a reason why you want the laptop direct and the desktop wireless? If you go this way there's really nothing to it.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.