Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
9 registered (Bluedogone, focusedbody, pete1973, mike1965, Jay1946, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63111 Topics
441346 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195579 - 12/16/07 06:38 PM The Dangerous Book for Boys....
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
As it is now Christmas present shopping time I decided that I no longer wanted to buy useless gifts that would be forgotten about with-in a few months, the main one I thought about was for my 8 y.o. nephew, I wanted to get something other than toys that he would soon grow out of. While out shopping rencently I came across a book 'The Dangerous Book for Boys' after reading through it briefly I bought it with out hesitation. This is the book I think anyone would say they wished they had as a boy, in the book you will find out how to make everyting from the best paper airplane in the world to making secret Ink, it teaches you about history, latin and even has advice on Girls. It shows you how to build a tree house, go-carts, Catapults, play poker, skim stones, make a bow and arrow, navigate, and many many more fantastic things. I highly recommend this book as a valuable addition to any collection for any boy from 8 - 80.

#195584 - 12/16/07 07:42 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: irishguy]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Irish, for the recommendation. It sounds an interesting and fascinating piece of literature, something I would have loved to have had as a child, and something I probably would have been given had I requested it.

#195588 - 12/16/07 07:58 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Dean,

You are so right, The Dangerous Book for Boys is an amazing book, and as I recall the authors say this book will contain the things they would have loved to know about as boys. I haven't seen any boy receive a copy and not be totally thrilled with it. It's a classic.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#195637 - 12/17/07 11:00 AM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: roadrunner]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
IrishGuy,

It is a fabulous book. I bought if for my 9 year old nephew over the summer. Funny thing is, he wasn't very interested because it was a book, despite me and my b/f telling him all the wonderful things in it. Anyway, he left it at the house when the family left. Fast forward almost 2 months and he calls me up all excited because he's in the cub scouts. I hear about all the boys in his troop, his uniform, what they'll be doing and on and on. Then, out of nowhere he asks if I still have the book I gave him 'cause he forgot to bring it home and he's sure his buddies and he will have a great time with it. I was so happy! He's having a ball with it.

ROCK ON........Trish

#195683 - 12/17/07 04:44 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: Trish4850]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Im kinda worried my nephew will be the same about the book, but my brother is certain he will enjoy it, either way i dont mind having it until he wants it.

#195714 - 12/17/07 08:31 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: irishguy]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

If I were you, I'd learn how to make the best paper airplane in the world and then do it with him on Christmas Day. Any hesitation on his part will just fly away

ROCK ON.........Trish

#195830 - 12/18/07 04:55 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: Trish4850]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

hehe, well ive already made one, and i made the battery too. lol
I hav'nt been able to put the book down since i got it, (hmmmm i wonder if he'll be happy with socks for christmas?)

#195832 - 12/18/07 05:30 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: irishguy]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

*lol* Maybe it's time to buy a 2nd book. Then you can have competitions on who did the most stuff - no cheatin'!

ROCK ON........Trish

#195839 - 12/18/07 06:42 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: irishguy]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Dean,

Originally Posted By: irishguy
Im kinda worried my nephew will be the same about the book, but my brother is certain he will enjoy it, either way i dont mind having it until he wants it.

Will you be with them over the holidays, or will you at least have some time with the boy? If so, How about this as an idea? Look through the book and find a cool but easy project that can be done in a short time. Then do it with him when he has the book, just following the instructions step by step. That will alert him to how amazing this wonderful book really is.

Much love,
Larry

PS: NOT the treehouse!!!! \:D

(Woody Guthrie)

#196108 - 12/20/07 11:12 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: roadrunner]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Unfortunatley he will be goin away on holidays with his parents on the 26th for near 3 weeks, I dunno if he will bother bringing it with him or not but either way ill have the chance to do some stuff with him when he comes back.

#196674 - 12/26/07 11:56 AM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: irishguy]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Just had to bump this back up to say that my absolutely amazing wife was sneaky enough that she got me this book for Christmas and surprised me with it

it trully is an amazing book - I don't have any kids yet - but I know the kid in me just loves the book and I'm going to have much fun doing many of the projects in the book over the next year - amazing the number of things dad never taught me...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#196813 - 12/27/07 12:46 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: TJ jeff]
BruisedSpirit Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I just wanted to say thanks for bringing this book to my attention.

I bought it for my nephew and, according to my sister, he hasn't put it down since I gave it to him for Christmas.

I think I might go out and buy another copy to keep for myself! \:\)

Scott

#196824 - 12/27/07 01:45 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: BruisedSpirit]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
I wanted to thank you for mentioning it too, I bought it and gave it as a mutual gift for my son-in-law and grandson. Awesome book. I might mention that there is a companion for girls which I bought for my daughter and granddaughter. it's equally as awesome, Thanks again

#196834 - 12/27/07 04:03 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: dancr6]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hehe, its so cool to see how one little book can make so many people happy, I got a laugh when i gave it to my nephew on christmas morning as he was opening it from the wrappin paper his father was openin a gift from my brother and he got the pocket size editon of the book, soooo funny so now the 2 of them have a book each to read together.

#196848 - 12/27/07 06:24 PM Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys.... [Re: irishguy]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I wish I had put it on my own list of ideas for Christmas! Oh well, only six months until my birthday lol.

(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.