Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
6 registered (Obi, Tiger1982, 4 invisible), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63648 Topics
444523 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#195549 - 12/16/07 03:32 PM Sibling Abuse
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I was googling the effects of incest and I came up with a few sites on sibling abuse. These websites were very relateable to me and started to address my doubts. I even saw a book speficially on sibling abuse and thought that maybe this would be a good read for me to get a better handle on this. However the book was $50. I really don't have much spare cash, so its not an easy decision. I was just wondering if anyone had read this book before or maybe had some other books that they could reccomend.

The book is called "Sibling Abuse: Hidden Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Trauma" by Vernon R. Wiehe

Also maybe some of the members who are also therapists on this board have some insight.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#195552 - 12/16/07 04:00 PM Re: Sibling Abuse [Re: onlyakid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jason,

Wiehe's book covers other aspects of sibling abuse, such as emotional and physical abuse, and spends more time on abuse of girls than of boys. It has also been criticized for viewing the subject in terms of a feminist agenda rather basing it on solid scientific research. So I'm not sure you would get your money's worth if you're a guy who was sexually abused by his big brother.

I would have gone for another book, Sibling Abuse Trauma: Assessment and Intervention Strategies for Children, Families, and Adults, by John Caffaro and Allison Conn-Caffaro, which is less than half as expensive and focused more on sexual abuse.

But sure, get some other opinions, and depending where you are in Jersey you might be able to see these books in a large public or university library near you.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.