Newest Members
TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo, Laurie
12485 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
1 registered (Obi), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12485 Members
74 Forums
64147 Topics
447570 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195368 - 12/15/07 11:19 AM Losing Weight
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I won't deny it. Losing weight takes work. Being someone who has had the desire to just be healthy, losing weight started off as a secondary goal. My primary goal was to lower my bad cholesterol and raise my good cholesterol. When I saw how fast the weight initially dropped off by simply following a couple of rules, that ended up becoming my primary goal. Suddenly, it became difficult.

I weighed in this morning at 180.8 lbs, which is a loss of about 29 lbs. from where I started at 209. My goal is to get under 170 and stay there.

Here are some tips that I've used to help me drop 29 lbs.

1) Drop the fast food. This is where it all started for me. I needed to eat healthy, and it is very difficult for me to drive by a McDonald's without stopping for a couple of 99 cent double cheeseburgers. This had to stop. No more McDonald's. No more Wendy's. No more Burger King. No more Culver's. No more Pizza Hut. At first, I dropped fast food completely. I went one month, then rewarded myself. I went another month, and rewarded myself again. Now, I'm at the point where I can control myself when I'm at the fast food drive through. I'll eat out occasionally with friends, but I'm always careful not to overdo it.

2) Count calories. I limit myself to 2,000 a day, and I achieve this goal about 6 out of every 7 days. When I actually started to realize how many calories went into some of my favorite foods, I became a much smarter eater. A little Snickers bar might seem like a small snack, but is 320 calories for something that doesn't come close to filling me up and provides little to no nutritional value worth it? I can get a healthy meal from a frozen dinner for less than 320 calories, and if I add a piece of fruit like a pear or a banana, I can be quite satisfied afterwards.

3) Do not eat until you are full. The feeling of being full is your body's way of saying you ate too much. Believe it or not, when I started to follow this rule, I eventually got to the point where I disliked being full. I used to freak out at mealtime wondering if I would have enough to tide me over to the next meal. I'd sit in the McDonald's drive through wondering if the food I'd ordered would make it so I didn't have to make another trip back that night. It is better to eat a few small snacks over the course of a day than it is to eat a huge meal 3 times a day.

4) Keep produce around. I plan on making a trip to the grocery store at least once a week, and I like to have pears, grapes, and bananas around for quick snacks. This takes a conscious effort. Those who are diabetic might opt for celery, lettuce, or carrots instead. The point is, it's good to have 7-8 servings of fruits and veggies every day, and I've found that it is easy to accomplish that if I change my snack time foods to fruits and veggies.

5) No more Doritos! Again, snack time is a huge part of where my weight gains were coming from. I used to love to snack on Doritos, Chips Ahoy cookies, and the like, but I was finding that I was eating a whole bag in one sitting as a meal.

6) Switch to fat free or light alternatives. It's amazing how many calories a person can save in a day by simply switching to fat free or light alternatives in everyday condiments. I saved over 300 calories by using things like low fat cheese, syrup, sour cream, salad dressing, mayonaisse, diet soda, etc.

7) Stay away from anything that has "high fructose corn syrup". This includes a lot of staples in people's diets. For instance, regular soft drinks oftentimes contain mostly high fructose corn syrup. A person who is drinking 5-6 sodas a day has little room in his diet for anything else if he intends to stay below 2,000 calories. Try drinking diet sodas or switching to tea or coffee instead if you need your caffeine fix. Also, I know several people who eat mounds upon mounds of ketchup. My dad will smother a hamburger with ketchup and then dip it in another mound of ketchup. Before he's done with a regular sized hamburger, he will have consumed 4-6 oz in ketchup which is mostly high fructose corn syrup.

8) Don't get frustrated. It's easy to do, but I've recognized the cycle that my body goes through when it comes to losing weight. I lost 15 lbs in my first week before stagnating for several weeks. Nowadays, I will tend to lose 5-6 lbs. each week, and then I'll gain 3-4 back in one or two days. What is happening is that when my body starts to burn fat, it lets me know by telling me that it is hungry. I have learned to somewhat control that urge to eat, but not completely. The result is that I'll over eat for a day or two before resuming my diet. My body then concentrates on burning those freshly consumed calories before going back to burning fat, and then I'll get hungry again. Rinse and repeat. The bottom line is, the first couple of times I found myself gaining all of that weight back, I was crushed. If it hadn't been for the fact that my primary goal at the time was lowering cholesterol, I might have just said "screw it". However, the most important thing to remember is:

9) This is a lifestyle change. Quick diet schemes are nothing more than temporary fixes to permanent problems. I don't go hungry. I don't deprive myself of the things I love. I do them in moderation, and I make an effort every day to limit what I eat. Eventually, this effort has turned into second nature. Yeah, it's still hard to drive by a McDonald's without stopping, and yes, It's still hard to say "no" to that second slice of pie, but I feel better and my clothes don't fit anymore. Those are sure signs that I'm accomplishing something, and I will have the ultimate test in February when I get my cholesterol checked again.

10) Of course, the hardest part of this whole thing is to excercise. I'm not going to make any excuses. I don't excercise because I don't want to. However, I do make a conscious effort to park far away from the stores when I go shopping, even in the winter. I never take the elevator, either. These are little things, but at least they are something.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#195386 - 12/15/07 12:47 PM Re: Losing Weight [Re: BJK]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
dude. that's awesome. good for you man.

#195389 - 12/15/07 01:26 PM Re: Losing Weight [Re: Jarrad]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Fantastic job, Bryan. I lost a bunch of weight several years ago, and you are right, it is a lifestyle change. But it gets easier.

I exercise a lot, both to keep the weight off and to control anxiety and depression. But if you aren't into exercise, I think your suggestions are great! - taking extra steps whenever possible really adds up.

you rock - hope the numbers look good in February!

Dan

Marge Simpson

#195392 - 12/15/07 01:31 PM Re: Losing Weight [Re: dannym]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Oh, I wanted to add something... you talked about how surprising the amount of calories in food can be... A lot of restaurants have calorie counts for their foods... you'd be surprised.
A salad at California Pizza kitchen has over 1,000 calories... so just because it sounds low in cals, it may not be. Calorie King is an online resource and offers a lot of nutritional analysis of fast foods and restaurant food as well as grocery store brands.

Bryan, may I print out your guidelines for a friend of mine? They are really complete. I'll cut and paste them so it won't have your name or screen name, of course, just the numbered items.

Thanks
Dan

Marge Simpson

#195402 - 12/15/07 03:47 PM Re: Losing Weight [Re: dannym]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

By all means, Dan. If you think they can help someone, go ahead and share them.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#195404 - 12/15/07 04:03 PM Re: Losing Weight [Re: BJK]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Bryan,
I got huge while on Zoloft and now that I'm not so I'm looking at new ways to eat & snack.
I lost 2 pounds just by eating cheese & wheat crackers as a snack instead of chocolate at night. I'm down to 200, my goal is 185 which is almost right for my size. I also stopped buying stuff like M&Ms mini Hershey bars that I would just eat while on the computer and eat 1/2 the bag without realizing it.
Your tips will help a lot Thank you!
peace
Rick

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#195425 - 12/15/07 06:04 PM Re: Losing Weight [Re: GateKPR4]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

You're welcome, Rick.

Kind of reminds me of a time a few years back when I went to eat a late night breakfast with two buddies. Buddy 1 had a patty melt a la carte on grilled wheat with onions and mushrooms; buddy 2 had a chef's salad with bacon, ham, turkey, cheese, eggs, and tons of dressing; and I had eggs benedict with cheese smothered hash browns. Buddy 1 commented on how he was eating greasy crap while we were both eathing "healthy". A look back tells me that he was probably eating the most healthy of us all.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#195455 - 12/15/07 10:40 PM Re: Losing Weight [Re: BJK]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
This is a very good topic to bring up Bryan, not just to get feedback on for yourself, but that others may well benefit from your experience on this.

I have never had a hard time keeping weight off, SOME of that is genetic, I was thin as a child and teen. But one thing I know for sure, now that I'm older, there is NO WAY that I could just eat anything I wanted to and not blow up like the Goodyear Blimp.

Here is what *I* do to stay thin.

1. AVOID refined flour. (white bread, pizza, store bought
cookies, crackers, etc.)

2. AVOID anything with High Frutcose Corn Syrup

3. NEVER eat anything with hydrogenated oils in it. (to my
understanding, this stuff is BAD BAD BAD for you).

4. READ the ingredients on your groceries.

What I WILL eat are whole grain flours, whole grain rice, barley, etc. I have been making my own pizza with whole wheat pizza dough. Whole wheat spaghetti, etc. I will use brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup for sweeteners, but never refined sugar. (peanut butter and honey sandwiches rule!!) I eat VERY little meat. I've probably eaten 20 pounds of meat for the entire last year. I get by on around 1400 calories a day and never feel starved.

One last comment Bryan. You are very wise to stay away from fast food, if you had any idea how it was made, you probably would never eat it again. http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Nation-E...97775850&sr=8-1

Edit:

I've revised my calorie count, a more realistic assessment for my diet is 1600-1700 calories per day.

#195456 - 12/15/07 11:36 PM Re: Losing Weight [Re: Hauser]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
peanut butter and honey on grain bread sounds good. I did cut way back on the white flour, I couldn't believe how much stuff has high fructose corn syrup. @_@

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#195487 - 12/16/07 09:05 AM Re: Losing Weight [Re: GateKPR4]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Congratulation on your success Bryan, I hope it continues and your meet your health goals.

Andrei

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.