Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
3 registered (BraveFalcon, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64148 Topics
447584 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#195132 - 12/13/07 07:23 PM No Courage!
mvnforwrd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
It has not been long since I have discoverd how the abuse I have been through and dealing with for many years has really messed me up. My problem now is I feel as though I canot make decisions, Somedays I can't put my foot in front of the other to walk. MY COURAGE is nothing but yet When I tell my abuse story to victims as well as non-victims people keep telling me it takes alot of COURAGE to do what I am doing. Then why can't I get outa bed sometimes or not fall asleep at night courage is strength I thought and strength I seem not to have much of these days. Are there any good books out there dealing with COURAGE relating to sexual abuse? Thanks MVNFORWRD

#195318 - 12/14/07 10:53 PM Re: No Courage! [Re: mvnforwrd]
midnight51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Someone recommended this book to me at a very dark time and it helped to lift me up. I hope you can take something from it.

Man's Search for Meaning

Cheers,
Josh

#195333 - 12/15/07 07:33 AM Re: No Courage! [Re: midnight51]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
mvnforwrd,

I think that what you're experiencing isn't a lack of courage; it sounds more like depression. Clinical depression can get so bad that a guy can find himself almost crippled by it: unable make and follow through on decisions, and sometimes even an inability to leave the house.

I would talk to your doctor about this and see what s/he says. I think the majority of survivors suffer from depression in some form, and it takes awhile to get the right combination of medications that can help. But once you have that the difference can be amazing. I would look into this possibility.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#195420 - 12/15/07 05:21 PM Re: No Courage! [Re: roadrunner]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
MVNFORWRD,

I think people tell you this because what you do telling thers about your story is indded takes courage and strength. For a human being it is very difficult to face problems like having survived sexual abuse because: the man feels the original pain, he can experience various emotions that were really frozen for many years. It is also a huge problem that men have a burden of guilt being put in their minds by abusers, and this guilt makesi almost impossible to enjoy life, allow yourself to be good to yourself, to dare, etc.

When you start talking to people abut your abuse history, you take a huge step to start solving the issues which affect your life every day, and you start to face the feelings that can be painful. It is complex, I know, but the fact is you are heaing and people like it.

Take care,
Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#195457 - 12/15/07 11:43 PM Re: No Courage! [Re: alexey]
mvnforwrd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Thankyou for your responses. Yes I think my lack of courage is probably being masked by deppression And now that I am talking about the abuse I am having a tough time sorting out my feelings and what they truely are. MVNFORWRD
P.S. I will look into Mens Search For Meaning

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.